• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

64" mxs exp

gyro

GSN Contributor
We had a rare day of nice-ish whether today, and having recently acquired 5 new packs, I got about 20 flights on the MXS. I love this plane!

I removed the tips and flew it with just SFG's and I think that's my favorite configuration for this plane. It rolls quicker and is a little more stable in yaw and pitch. The roll rate is downright insane...although it looses some of the cool looks for sure.

The packs I flew were the 40C Sky LiPo (I have three of them), 45C Pulse Ultra, and 30C Gforce, all 6S 3300's. Keep in mind that all of these packs besides one of the Pulse batteries were bought used, so take my results with that in mind. Also, I never bothered putting a watt meter on any of these, this is just based on how they felt in the air.

The worst pack was the Gforce. It's only a 30C pack, but it's the same price as the Sky LiPo's, and it's the heaviest, at 575 grams.

The clear winner was the Sky LiPo packs. I expected the Pulse batteries to be the best as they are marketed as premium batteries and are 45C versus the Sky LiPo's 40C. The Sky's are the lightest as well at 533 grams (the website has them at 633 but that's a typo. I weighed them).

The Pulse batteries performed well but the Sky's are better. They weigh the same as the Sky's, but they cost about twice as much.

Based on the fact that I have two of the Pulse batteries, the one that I have had since brand new performs the same as the other one, and I have three of the Sky's, I think I have a decent sample size. IMO getting the 40C Sky's is a no-brainer if they ever come back in stock!

Cody, I've been meaning to take the tips off my MXS (as I had on my 48") as I agree with the improvements in stability.

We need to get you some Glacier batts. They're a true 30c pack, and pumped out 90a (on 6s!) into my MXS. They blew away the Zippys I had (which were 40c but only put out 72a).
Also, their 6s 3300mah 30c only weighs 511g!!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355097806.521761.jpg

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Nice! I have heard good things about them for sure. It might be nice to replace my Gforce pack with a Glacier, then I will have 6 really nice packs for plenty of hard all-day flying with the MXS.

hone

150cc
Nice! I have heard good things about them for sure. It might be nice to replace my Gforce pack with a Glacier, then I will have 6 really nice packs for plenty of hard all-day flying with the MXS.

I've been using the glacier 6s 3300s in my MXS and they've been great so far but i want to get some 6s 4000s next. The Haiyin batteries have also been really good, maybe even a little better, but they're heavier too. The glaciers have a good weight to them, not heavy, but not so light that you know there is going to be something wrong with them(lower C rating or capacity than advertised)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Just flew the 64" with my new motrolfly 4315-500kv with a Protek 15x8, and it was awesome!
Also installed the new ZTW "B" series 85a... Nice and smooth throttle!
Motor ran really cool, only 110 degrees F, with a thermocouple on the base plate.
Power was perfect, honestly couldn't tell the difference from the 480kv and the 16x7, other than she runs cooler, and uses less juice!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

Can this plane can be flown pretty violent?
Spins, tumbles and whatnot are kinda its speciality?
Im thinking this is gonna be my first 60" range plane. I have one more plane(for now unless i can talk him into selling his ef mxs or the 58" edge thats still in the box, hehe) that im planning on getting then im going in the 60" range. my flying buddys want me to get something that can be flown violent, they say that it would suite my style. Idk about all that, i dont think ive been flying long enough to have a style. but i do usually do fly wide-open so far

Manta

70cc twin V2
Um :). Yea, you can fly the poo out of EF planes. The MSX will laugh at you and call you a sissy if you dont peg the sticks every now and again. Rest assured, they are rugged airframes. Finesse? No problem. Tumbles? Like a boss, 3d, duh!!! :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Can this plane can be flown pretty violent?
Spins, tumbles and whatnot are kinda its speciality?
Im thinking this is gonna be my first 60" range plane. I have one more plane(for now unless i can talk him into selling his ef mxs or the 58" edge thats still in the box, hehe) that im planning on getting then im going in the 60" range. my flying buddys want me to get something that can be flown violent, they say that it would suite my style. Idk about all that, i dont think ive been flying long enough to have a style. but i do usually do fly wide-open so far

Um :). Yea, you can fly the poo out of EF planes. The MSX will laugh at you and call you a sissy if you dont peg the sticks every now and again. Rest assured, they are rugged airframes. Finesse? No problem. Tumbles? Like a boss, 3d, duh!!! :)

honestly, I'm more of an energy flier, which is why I get a long so well with the MXS. It is arguably my favorite airplane... I do blistering fast walls, 300 ft descending full power KE spins, the most energetic pop tops you've ever seen.
Today, with the new motor and prop combo, I had the must fun I've ever had with the MXS, and wrung it out for 4 packs... it just said, "is that all you've got?"

john, this is an amazing airplane, and if you don't LOVE it... I'll buy it from you to have as a spare. I'm THAT confident in it. You should probably, get a 46"-48" 3D plane first, and work your way up to it though... :)

-G

wedoitall

well im picking up the 3dhs 48 edge in the morning, make a long trek to get it. then ill have to visit my crack dealer(GYRO) to get the yak. ithe mxs is gonna be something i was looking to get sometime around spring. with the frequency i fly and hopefully i continue to progress the way i have since i first started and hopefully ill at least be ready for a MXS. i want something that pop tops really well. one of my top 3 fav manuveurs. on the edge im gonna practice harrier landings until i get them nailed, so i can fly at the farm(my backyard)

hone

150cc
This is hands down my favorite plane. Whenever i need to sell a plane to fund a project i don't even consider the MXS. I hope i always have one. It does everything the way i like it. Snaps clean, draws nice lines, and is a 3D beast. Ever since i got it i have noticed my flying style switching over more towards XA(extreme aerobatics) than 3D. It just begs you to fly fast and aggressive. I've tried my hardest to rip the plane apart in the air with full throttle blenders and tumbles but it just takes it and keeps flying.

Also, i ordered a motorbox and it comes with SOOOOO much stuff. IMG_20121219_153050.jpgIMG_20121219_153059.jpgIMG_20121219_153107.jpgIMG_20121219_152927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wedoitall

nice! well it sounds like this plane is everything i though it was. Eventually i will want something that i can fly violently and the MXS looks like the plane for the job. I WILL have one!