• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

gyro

GSN Contributor
This has probably been answered before. So i apologize in advance if it has. Just ordered the 74" edge wanting to run 8s on it. Need some help on picking a motor/prop/esc combo. Any suggestions. I want some crazy power. Thanks

My recommendation is the Motrolfly 4330 motor, with whichever wind suits your prop preference. Just look at the chart on subsonicplanes's website. My preference is a 292kv wind and 19x10 prop.

I like the fact the motrolfly has the concentric rear bearing that helps this motor stand up to extreme 3D abuse, and it tends to run cooler than the competition as well.

Also, go with at least 8s4000 (2x4s4000) and you could probably do 8s4400.

Good luck!

Got another flight in today and the cg is perfect. All my flights so far has been with the cowl off so I installed the cowl and after a minute the engine bogged down and shut off so I took the cowl off and no issues and then installed it again and it bogged to a shut down. I called vvrc and they said mite be a heat issue and I agree so I opened up the cowl holes and made a hole in the bottom of the cowl ,FYI VVRC has the best customer service I have ever seen . The plane was on the ground and wonder if it was in the air if this would happen but I am worried I will get a dead stick so I like to let it run on the ground till I see its running good.there is no room for baffles in the cowl but am thinking of installing louvres facing forward to grab more air. What do you guys think? image.jpg

I think I have everything where it needs to be. CG is at 5 1/4. Now if only the weather would cooperate I could get out and get this 40cc fired-up. Not the best picture but here it is on the EZ-balancer:

Looks good rc feen. Let me know if you have any issues with heat when the cowl is on. I made some mods for air flow but is not tested yet. Good luck this weekend if maiden. Your gona love the way it flies.

So since I have the tunnel open will this be enough air-flow for the 40cc twin? I guess I'll see once I get the cowl cut and mounted but just thought I would ask. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a heat issue with my 78 Extra install. I just opened up the last panel in the tunnel. Just flew it hard for 3 flights yesterday, granted it was only 50 degrees.

The pilot Yak 54 had just the bottom of the cowl opened up as I originally had it on a GT33.

My Edge is nearing completion. Can wait to see what my Vess 20B on this combo will be like. That will be my break in prop I think.

I think you will need more exit air. I had a little issue with heat. I will post a pic of what i did later.

Chopper...yeah I saw where you opened a spot at the bottom of the cowl and then the two pannels on the bottom of the fues after the cowl were the tunnel is. I think I'll first cut some vents in the ply pannel I made so I could get to the throttle servo that is out-line below in blue: