• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 75cc 106" HyperLITE Slick 540 by Fibertech N More

tylerzx9r

100cc
Just curios... Rick, have you ever tried laying a part up in a mold with Carbon Fiber Cloth? I know it wouldn't be cost effective for a kit... but I was thinking of trying something different for the look I want.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a set of carbon fiber wheel pants. They do look cool and they're light, but not as tough as I would have thought.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Just curios... Rick, have you ever tried laying a part up in a mold with Carbon Fiber Cloth? I know it wouldn't be cost effective for a kit... but I was thinking of trying something different for the look I want.

I haven’t worked with carbon yet but planning to do so with this new mold. I will post when I try it. May take a few to get the process figured out. My w/p have no seems to them and I want to do the same with CF but not sure if I can yet. Ya if there painted won't matter but kind of defeats the cf purpose a little. If get the look and quality I want they would be a option to the kits. Same pant will be used for Viper-ST.
I should clarify on no seem. You will see the mold parting line but there is no structural seem to them.

tylerzx9r

100cc
I haven’t worked with carbon yet but planning to do so with this new mold. I will post when I try it. May take a few to get the process figured out. My w/p have no seems to them and I want to do the same with CF but not sure if I can yet. Ya if there painted won't matter but kind of defeats the cf purpose a little. If get the look and quality I want they would be a option to the kits. Same pant will be used for Viper-ST.
I should clarify on no seem. You will see the mold parting line but there is no structural seem to them.
OOOOOH! I like The Plan! I was thinking of trying with some transparent fades for the color.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have a set of carbon fiber wheel pants. They do look cool and they're light, but not as tough as I would have thought.

I bought a pair of CF pants as well from another vendor and they laid up just the CF which maid them extremely soft. I put another layer of 6oz cloth on the inside and they are much much better. I have yet to install them in anything though:oblong: They were advertised as 35% size but will only fit a 3.5" wheel.......fail.

tylerzx9r

100cc
If the stuff weren't so expensive, I would do some examples. Yes Jetpainter, tinted clear was where I was headed, with some solid fades also. I have this picture in my head of some simple transparent stripes, just enough to break up that solid shape of a wheel pant.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Last time on build I mentioned spline sanding. For me I just ran the fuse side through my drum sander. But for you that don’t have one of these you can set up a long flat board with sand paper glued to it and run the fuse side back and forth as I show in 42% build pic. If your careful and apply even pressure you can use a flat short board or aluminum plate with sand paper glued to it. Start at one end of fuse and in one pass slide sanding board to the other end with even pressure.

Next was gluing on the anti rotational ply plates and the stab tube ply to fuse sides.

After this it was time to set the motor box and fuse side up in the fixture and start on the cross and diagonal braising. First though I wanted to set the wing tube fuse plates in place. At this time I’m not gluing in the wing tube socket yet. I’m just using it for location of the tube plates. I’ll install that a little later. There is a little sanding on 3/8” balsa that needed to be done first to slide the tube through motor box.

spline board 2.png From 42% Build

Fuse 10.png Fuse 11.png Fuse 12.png Fuse 13.png Fuse 14.png Fuse 15T.png Fuse 16T.png Fuse 17T.png Fuse 18T.png