• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D 75cc 106" HyperLITE Slick 540 by Fibertech N More

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Spent some time yesterday back on build. Finished up the rest of the cross bracing. Cut and fit the dog bone for lower motor box brace and some balsa angles. Did some spline sanding on fuse to remove any glue residue to have flat surface for the 1/64” Ply gussets.

I decided to save the gluing of gussets for later and moved onto programming the cuts for foam. I started on the canopy hatch and then the turtle deck. Hope to get these two vacuum bagged tonight and maybe some time on belly pan.

Fuse 28G.png Fuse 29G.png Fuse 30G.png Fuse 31G.png Foam 1.png Foam 3.png Foam 4.png Foam 5.png Foam 6.png Foam 7.png

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
I showed the jig because its a good cheap set up for those that don’t have the drum sanding machines laying around in the shop as Terry and I have for sanding multiple sheets at a time. The clamps are cheap toggle clamps from Menards
I’m trying to get guys back to building so I don’t want those that are just getting into or thinking about building that they need all the high end tools to do so. I have been doing this for a long time and have accrued the extra tools through the years.

BalsaDust

Cool I have some of those toggle clamps I picked up from McMaster Carr. Never thought to use them for that as I just do my best to hold the straight edge down by hand. Not no more great tip.
Hopefully people like you and terry can make people see that building isn't that bad. I do believe I may enjoy building the planes more than I do flying them. Nothing like the look of a completed airframe sitting on the bench in all its naked glory.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
My wife’s new wood shop and orders have been keeping me a little busy but still managed to get some time on build last few days.

I did get the canopy and T/deck in the bags last week. I like to use West Systems epoxy 105 and 206 for vacuum bagging. I mixed just a small amount of blue Rit die just to have a better visual of how much glue I had on the surface. On some parts there is a larger gap between part and shuck do to cut speed, heat ext. Before bagging that gap will need to have a filler material added to fill the space. I just use some rolled up paper towels. Sorry I forgot to take a pic of this but will do so later.

Over the weekend I pulled the parts out of the vacuum bags and did some prep work. I like to trim down the balsa over hang with a rasp first. I never use a knife as it can make a real mess of a cut. A knife wants to go with the grain of the balsa. That would be ok but the grain hardly ever fallows the edge shape of the part. Once I get the edge close to the foam I finish with a sanding block to finish.
Sat the art on the fuse and felt pretty good with the fit. I have the belly pan programmed and did a few test runs for cuts. Sometime this week I’ll do a final part cut and get it sheeted and bagged.

Foam 9a.png Foam 10a.png Foam 11b.png Foam 12b.png Foam 13b.png Foam 15b.png

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Got the shop wormed up enough to cut foam last night. Temps outside have been in the sub zero range. I like the foam to be around 60deg min when doing the cuts on cnc. There are a lot of factors that play in the quality of cutting foam with a cnc.
I was pleased with the foam cut for the belly pan. Sometimes this part can be a PITA at the end cut. Know I need to get it sheeted and bagged so I can cut out the large end that fits around the landing gear area and see how good the fit it is. So far so good

Foam 16c.png Foam 17c.png Foam 18c.png