• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 70″ Slick PRO Step By Step Build Guide

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well gents I'm trying to get this posted before my hand swells back up, I got stung by a bee on my right hand yesterday while riding my motorcycle- the worst!!!

This plane flies AWESOME!!! It is so stable in high alpha, tumbles extremely well, it whads up into insane crankshafts, and settles down very well. It's floaty, yet aggressive at the same time. Will do rifle rolls at full throttle, but cut the throttle back and it'll slow right down into some nitty gritty harrier rollin. Knife edge is extremely clean, extremely well behaved on its side with zero coupling whatsoever. I would highly recommend this airplane to anybody who is looking for a seriously fun toy to add to their hangar that's limited on space, but still wants that bigger toy to play with. First flight was a tad nose heavy, but a second flight I had the CG dialed in right on the money- center of the spar.

I am thoroughly pleased with how the Hacker A60-6XS, Hacker Master Spin 99 OPTO, Xoar 19x10 PJN, and 6s 5000 30c packs haul this airplane around. I will need to invest in some Thunder Power 55c packs in the future- for now these packs should do well. I opted to go with Hitec HS7954SH servos all around and I'm glad I did. These servos are quick and snappy even with the long stock arms, though I will need more control throw in the rudder and ailerons so I'll be picking up some long Dubro HD arms to squeeze out a little bit more control throw.

20150531_105047.jpg

Rolls are relatively axial already but I will need to dial them in to get them perfectly axial. Like I said it does rifle rolls extremely well, but slows right down to a crawl for some down on the deck harrier rollin'. It will do as big or as tight of a rolling loop as you want it to do and recovers extremely well out from it. Speaking of loops, it does them upright, inverted, or on its side equally well and amazing. I was just in awe of how solidly this airplane locks into knife edge- I did a knife edge avalanche loop (basically a knife edge loop with a snap roll at the top) with several snaps at the top, expecting the airplane to snap out of it when I finally released the sticks and hit the rudder again to exit the loop, but it surprised me yet again as it locked in rock solid with FULL rudder input. I haven't given it any mixing for KE yet, as there is just no coupling!!

20150531_105046.jpg

For those of us that just like to hover around, this airplane will certainly do that. Locks right in and is so stable, even in a full aileron torque roll. I had no troubles at all snapping it into a hover within a couple minutes of the first flight, it's just that comfortable to fly. It does very snappy walls as well and snaps right up and stops when you let go of the elevator. Elevator authority is extremely good, and this airplane will do the flattest elevators out there. Harriers are also extremely stable thanks to the razor sharp wingtips and flat LE, it will do them upright and inverted equally well.

20150531_105037.jpg

For those of you into extreme high speed aerobatics, this airplane will do them all- stunning crankshafts, amazing blenders, out of this world pop tops, it's all to the max with this airplane, and the moment you let go of the sticks and blast the throttle it will recover and stop moving. Flies very light for its size, I am very impressed with it and so are all of my fellow club members. I have some tweaking to do on my end to dial the airplane into how I want it to be but we are very close. How does this airplane score with me?

Pluses:

• Extremely well behaved in any manner, no wing rock in high alpha
  • Tumbles very well and very tightly, stops as soon as you release the sticks
  • Awesome knife edge authority, zero coupling
  • Very brilliant color scheme, extremely easy to see in the sky
  • Flies amazing on a 6S setup with the recommended motor
  • Excellent customer support from the Aerobeez team

Minuses:

• Hardware could be higher quality- it's decent, but wish it were top notch
  • Cowl ring came unglued in box- Aerobeez has stated they are working on this already
  • Covering is already wrinkling from being out in the sun for only a few hours
  • Not too fond of how the elevator/horizontal stab is permanently affixed to airframe

Overall, I'm going to score this airplane a very solid 8.5 out of 10. I am very very picky with my airplanes so the hardware may have bothered me, but I doubt it will bother most. The awesome flying characteristics more than makeup for it all. Will need to re-tension the rudder cables after today's workout- this is to be expected with new cables on a new airplane though.

The final setup:

• Hacker A60-6XS motor
  • Hacker Master Spin 99 OPTO ESC
  • Xoar 19x10 PJN propeller
  • Zippy 6S 5000 30C lipo packs
  • Castle Creations 10 amp BEC (set to 8.4v)
  • Hitec Optima 9 receiver
  • Hitec HS-7954SH servos all around
  • Hitec Aurora 9X transmitter

Definitely going to buy more Aerobeez airplanes in the future, this is only the start :popcorn:

I have some new Scorpion velcro battery straps on their way to me, as well as a 3" flow through spinner from Taildragger RC since they're the only ones who had a 3" in stock. I will definitely be posting some video up later for the masses to observe, this is by far my favorite airplane to fly and I've flown a lot of airplanes in the 15 years I've been in the hobby. And in all of those 15 years, I've NEVER had an airplane that landed itself!!! I literally set it up on an approach path and it glided smoothly and gently down to terra firma for a perfect and soft 3 point landing without me giving any input. When the winds kicked up it definitely didn't want to glide down as smoothly but nontheless I am impressed. This weeks tweaks will involve:

-Tightening rudder cables
-Fitting DuBro long arms to ailerons- I may just turn up the rates a bit in the Tx
-Tightening up covering, going over all components/screws to ensure everything is still tight
-Cleaning up the messy wiring

Cannot WAIT to get back out on Friday and do some more huckin!!!!

[MENTION=2215]Aerobeez[/MENTION], now if only you guys had a 50CC and 100CC Slick PRO :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
Wait till late September :thumbup:

[MENTION=2215]Aerobeez[/MENTION], now if only you guys had a 50CC and 100CC Slick PRO :banana:[/QUOTE]

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Yes, nice. Now... video! Santiago bids are nice... but I want to see another flying style that is more aggressive.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Wait till late September :thumbup:

[MENTION=2215]Aerobeez[/MENTION], now if only you guys had a 50CC and 100CC Slick PRO :banana:
[/QUOTE]

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Can't wait to see what's in store!

----------------

I'm going to get more comfortable and get this thing dialed in first before I get film, so stay tuned. Santiago will have a run for his money :thumbup:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Hey man what size servo arms are going with? Also Im guessing if I go with push pull system it may make it to heavy in the butt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I am currently using the stock HD long arms that are included with the 7954's- they're the fatter ones. As far as a push/pull setup, I contemplated it but ultimately stuck with pull/pull cables to keep the build relatively stock. There is plenty of space in the huge battery tray to move the pack forward if you want to mount a 2nd servo in the tail.

If I can't get the control throw I want with tightening the rudder cables and tweaking my setup then I'll get a wider arm for it, possibly aluminum. Same for ailerons, I'm pretty sure the elevator has enough control throw.