• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aerobeez 70″ Slick PRO Step By Step Build Guide

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I agree that the 6s packs are a bit much. Basically a 3000 mah pack more weight than you want. This plane is not likely large enough to absorb that much more weight gracefully.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
The weight thing is what I have been wondering about myself. Good thing is I can start at 4000 and work my way down to 2700's because thats what I have. If I have to go below that then I'll have to buy some new packs which isn't all that bad. My flying style such as it is, isn't down low and slow that much. I like it a bit faster and bigger. I don't think theres any cloud on this discussion either, sometime we just need to get it out there and figure it out. So long as we all respect each other it's all good.

Bloosee

70cc twin V2
I would approach it the other way around [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION], go smaller packs to start and then work your way up in size until you think it no longer flies well due to the excess weight.

Bipenut53

150cc
I would approach it the other way around [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION], go smaller packs to start and then work your way up in size until you think it no longer flies well due to the excess weight.

I have to agree, think of it this way..... These airframes were built to fly light, if you weigh it down too much you are going to be wasting the potential of the airframe, you will also be fighting the weight and you won't really know how the plane will do maneuvers that should be easy to do. Just my two cents....

Last edited by a moderator:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I concur as well.

As far as 6S vs 12S power: I mean, the 6S setup has a lot of guts already, 12S would be a rocketship. I have no problem going full throttle right into a violent crankshaft and getting the airplane to spin around 5-6 times. With more power/speed I'd imagine you might run into structural issues- the airframe is built relatively light and the plywood is thin in certain areas. With enough speed/power going into a crankshaft for example, you might find yourself having to do the walk of shame and go out to pickup the pieces....... Which of course is something none of us want, we want to have the demise of our airplanes be because of a dumb thumb, not a structural failure. As sinister and asinine as that sounds, it really does reign true. I don't want my airplane to die because the firewall rips apart or the fuselage breaks, I want it to die because I made a mistake and put it in under my own control. Not that I make many mistakes.... ;)

So to those wanting to go for 12S: I say go for it, just be wise about your throttle management. This is a really light airplane and with 2500 watts+ yanking it around the sky you can start to test the limits of the airframes design.

3dNater

My point continues to be... get the right wind and prop. Too hot of a wind/prop is where you will run into trouble. Cell count does not equal power by itself. To do something different all you have to do is use your brain. The equation is simple. Get the kv for between 7000-8000 rpms and prop it just like a 6s setup. More efficient energy use and the exact same power... except you won't get near the voltage sag and the components will come down cooler.

SnowDog

I concur as well.

As far as 6S vs 12S power: I mean, the 6S setup has a lot of guts already, 12S would be a rocketship. I have no problem going full throttle right into a violent crankshaft and getting the airplane to spin around 5-6 times. With more power/speed I'd imagine you might run into structural issues- the airframe is built relatively light and the plywood is thin in certain areas. With enough speed/power going into a crankshaft for example, you might find yourself having to do the walk of shame and go out to pickup the pieces....... Which of course is something none of us want, we want to have the demise of our airplanes be because of a dumb thumb, not a structural failure. As sinister and asinine as that sounds, it really does reign true. I don't want my airplane to die because the firewall rips apart or the fuselage breaks, I want it to die because I made a mistake and put it in under my own control. Not that I make many mistakes.... ;)

So to those wanting to go for 12S: I say go for it, just be wise about your throttle management. This is a really light airplane and with 2500 watts+ yanking it around the sky you can start to test the limits of the airframes design.

I don't know...I think flying a plane to the point that it structurally fails is something of a merit badge for us pilots! I'd rather see a plane crash for that reason rather than because I flew it into the ground. Besides, I've already got the "dumb thumb" merit badge...I don't have the "induced structural failure" merit badge yet...guess that's going on my to do list for this year ;)

:flyer:

3dNater

I had a plane fail in the air once... it was totally epic. It was on the 4th of July 2012. I was at the field by myself trying to clean up my high speed snaps. The plane had been basically broken in half before and repaired. After two or three of these high speed passes with two or three hard snaps I noticed my turn around felt wierd. I started to throttle back when the whole thing appeared to break up. Suddenly I was flying a fuse with no wings. The wings were just fluttering down amidst a bunch of other confetti. Basically my repair work failed under the stress and the wing tube exited through the canopy. It was awesome to see a failure like that, but really sad for a couple reasons. Obviously I still miss the plane. But most of all it was sad that there was not another human being within a mile to see it!