• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Airplane Cradles in the Shop, What works, what doesn't?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
You what I'm talking about, something that can hold your giant scale fuselage upside down while you work on it without dinging the covering or denting the balsa.

I know I can go to the interweb with my credit card and find a solution but let's see what you guys (and gals :) ) are using. 2" foam board and a tube of adhesive caulk goes a long way. Or maybe you're doing it the way the full scale guys hang wings when they're cluttering up the shop, with a wood frame and some strips of carpet?

Let's see your pics, if I copy anyone outright you get a free t-shirt!

I've been using a cardboard box with cut-outs on opposite sides for the fuselage profile and pipe insulation to keep the edge of the cardboard from marring the wood. I did it in a pinch when I was rebuilding my Akromaster and it lasted 8 years! But I'd like something more long lasting this time! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

WMcNabb

150cc
Completely unrefined...but it works.

Combination of a brace drilled slightly larger than the crankshaft and a 7.50 x 10 tube, coincidentally from a full scale Staggerwing. Have hundreds of these on hand.

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Well Bart I have not owned a stand but I have been thinking about getting one, here is what I found out so far.

This is one of the best but you pay for the quality.
http://rcairplanestands.com/2.html

This stand has also caught my eye and is more in line with a price I would pay for.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAR02&P=ML

that first one is very nice but I don't have enough room in my shop for something like that.

the second one also looks like a good option but it also will take up too much room.

i'm dealing with a shop that is about 11x14 so I i'm trying to find something that will sit on the bench when I work on the plane.

maybe it's time for some copper tube and fittings?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Bart a friend I help give me this stand, I have no clue who makes it, but it's nice. It took me 2 years to finally take it, as I thought it was for small planes, till I saw @Phil.Griffin post a pic of his, and saw that it was adjustable. I quickly ran over and picked it up. maybe Phil knows where to get em.

EDIT: I now see @Ohio AV8TOR already posted to link to this stand

Attachments

• DSCF4495.JPG
    DSCF4495.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 362
Go PVC. And if you dont make it really big, it wont flex much. Then wrap it up in pipe foam. The kind that has the slit on 1 side, and also has the double sided tape on it. :)

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Go PVC. And if you dont make it really big, it wont flex much. Then wrap it up in pipe foam. The kind that has the slit on 1 side, and also has the double sided tape on it. :)
I used something like that (PVC) till I got this other stand, lasted long time, not quiet as stable, but worked.

Attachments

• DSCF4497.JPG
    DSCF4497.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 320

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Here's my stand....have a total of about $12 invested. It's an adjustable clothes rack from Wally World. Added some PVC fittings on top of the verticals. Then slide a PVC pipe (or your wing tube) thru the fuse. I support the tail with an old music stand (freeby).

On my 35% Krill I can flip the whole plane over while in the stand. I can't do the Raven with the wheel on as they are too wide to go thru the verticals....otherwise it would do the same thing. Just make sure you have ceiling clearance for the tail.

Makes it easy to move around in the shop as all 4 wheels are full caster. just pick the tail up a tad and roll it.
DSC01090.JPG
DSC01089.JPG DSC01083LR.jpg DSC01081LR.jpgDSC04015A.jpg