• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

Report 2.0..... Guys, I did the real maiden today, low win and decent weather (52F), and this is what I have to report in the 3 time that i flew:
Pros.
* Take off - Piece Of Cake.
* Land - Piece of Cake with cream on the top.... I'm not a master in landings and with this plane it is super easy.
* My Dual Rates are to high.

Cons (in my plane)
* My engine sometimes sounds like is going to shut off. For me is something like the CDI cut the power for a few milliseconds (only happens on high idle).
* When I put real power on the throttle the plane tent to go Up, just a little bit. I need help from you guys... I'm the newbie on planes.

That's all for now.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Check your plug ignition cap would be my first idea.

Do you mean the plane tends to climb at full power?

Check your plug ignition cap would be my first idea.

Do you mean the plane tends to climb at full power?

Ohhhh Yeah, the plug cap... I never think on that, and can that cuz it is when is getting high vibrations. Thanks @AKNick ... And yes the at after 1/2 and 3/4 of power the plane is climbing...

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The plug cap spring is a good one to check out and make sure it's making contact. Those DLE caps are hard to put on. Just watch the spring expand then close as you're pushing it on. Sometimes it helps to remove the outer spring and get a visual reference to where it is suppose to rest then slap it back on. I've heard of guys using a hose clamp instead. Just be careful not to over tighten.

As for the climbing, it probably has to do with your thrust angle. I'm guessing it has too much down thrust. A quick "fix" would be to add a thin washer behind the lower engine mount stands.

If you get a chance to do the inverted 45 degree half throttle climb you can verify that your CG is close... Assuming all your trims are centered.

If you get a chance to do the inverted 45 degree half throttle climb you can verify that your CG is close... Assuming all your trims are centered.

I'll try that first, before mess with the washers. I just check the CAP and as you say it's very tricky. It came out with not much effort, then I move the out side clip in the place that is able to expand. Now i'm sure the cap is on place right and tight....

Thanks again Nick for your support.... I'come back this Friday with an update....

Note: This is the first big plane that I have and wow, do a hover it is so easy. I think that I can be hovering a full tank.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I'll try that first, before mess with the washers. I just check the CAP and as you say it's very tricky. It came out with not much effort, then I move the out side clip in the place that is able to expand. Now i'm sure the cap is on place right and tight....

Thanks again Nick for your support.... I'come back this Friday with an update....

Note: This is the first big plane that I have and wow, do a hover it is so easy. I think that I can be hovering a full tank.

Congrats man!!! The 73" is a great plane and is crazy responsive... I'm betting you're on the right track with the cap. If it came off fairly easily that's not typical. Now most of my experiences are with DLE so I'm not sure what you put in yours. My dle's are always always always tough to get the plug cap on all the way.

Steve_JR

New to GSN!
The trick to getting these plug caps on is to use a pair of tweezers and pre-center the little clip first then (as you press down on the cap over the plug) turn the cap 90* and it should snap right on.

I got some testing into day with the pipe on the 2 in 1 header on the vvrc 40.
Stock mufflers vess 20b 7200rpm
vvrc 2 in 1 header nothing attached vess 20b- 7300rpm (surprised by this one)
Header with ES35G pipe vess 20b- 7800rpm

7800 was the max I could get, but found moving the header back just a bit and hitting 7700 seems to be the sweet spot. Going to firm up the install and get some flights on it and see what it does in the air.

The big thing to take away on this is the noise level is improved a lot. At idle its very quite.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh nice! In comparison you mean the es35g was quieter that the other two? Next question would be throttle response and idle rpms