• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

I plan to do more testing later on. Today all I did was overall rpm and just wanted to know if it would work. Had everything temp mounted.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Baffling the Cowl

I bought 6mm and 3mm craft foam from Joan's Fabric, as long as it isn't too close to the exhaust or cooling fins it wont melt. The general purpose of doing this is so that the air moving through the cowl's opening is kept/directed around the cooling fins and exhaust port of the engine so that the hot air will not be stagnant and the cooling air will efficiently pass over the heated areas. I used Zap Medium CA to tack it on and then added a filet. Note the 90 degree foam supports, and the piece of foam under where the spark plug wire could potentially come into contact with. Also note that I opened up the cowling a bit more and even more so in front of the exhaust. IMG_2707.JPGIMG_2706.JPGIMG_2710.JPGIMG_2716.JPGIMG_2718.JPGIMG_2721.JPGIMG_2722.JPG

We shall see if it melts!! ha ha

IMG_2712.JPGIMG_2713.JPGIMG_2715.JPG

I vented the lower bottom part of the cowling to prevent any "pressurized cowl" effects that may happen. I kinda like making a little design of some sort.

IMG_2711.JPGIMG_2717.JPG

I added some slits on the upper outboard section of the cowl so that any rising hot air during a ground run has a place to escape.

IMG_2725.JPG
Dont forget to add a bead of medium zap ca around the openings you cut to help strengthen it a bit and keep any oil or fuel from entering through the loose fiberglass braids.

IMG_2705.JPGIMG_2709.JPG

I took the liberty of putting a small opening to adjust the needles without removing the cowling. may look a little sloppy, but totally practical.

WOW that was a lot of pics!! This essentially concludes my build, but I still need to do a ground run... after a get a new fuel jug setup... I hope to have the engine running in a week and maybe a maiden shortly there after. I will also mention that I did a pre-pre flight and made sure every component was secured, and linkages were tight. My oh my this build has taken me eternity! (My fault!!! not AJ ha ha)

Bipenut53

150cc
Really nicely done [MENTION=3929]AKNick[/MENTION]! I used the same form for baffling my 70cc twin in my Extra, it works very well I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
[MENTION=3929]AKNick[/MENTION]

WOW MAN REALLY NICE JOB! I really like the vents you put in that thing!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Mike. Now you get an idea of what I was talking about with foam baffling a single cylinder gasser. Gotta love pics!!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well it's almost been 1 year..... I finally maidened the Laser this Saturday!!! It really does fly on rails folks. Mine came out a little nose heavy turns out, but nothing a few clicks of trim and burning through some fuel couldn't fix! Just a few clicks of aileron as well, I did not laterally balance the plane prior. I didn't do any exciting tricks yet, just basic IMAC maneuvers and maybe a snap roll... and a pop top... and a brief harrier..... heh. I got very comfortable flying this machine after about two minutes.

DA35 ran amazing!! WAY better then my DLE35RA. I richened the needles a tiny bit since I am flying at sea level pretty much and a little colder air temps. This engine did not skip a beat with the Falcon 20X9, excellent transition, however the idle speed was a little on the high side. I may end up switching to a 21X9.

There is a few things I would like to change; I need to put on bigger tires for my field (3-3.5"), then either modify my fuel dot location to a higher point or add a loop to keep from siphoning, and well... that's it!

Cannot wait to expand the flight envelope on this bird once I get a few break in flights through it!

I am going to add pictures and maybe a video, my wonderful wife did the filmography and lets just say it's less then "perfect"... MAJOR editing required less the audience pukes ha ha ha! I still love the heck out of her - bless her heart for even recording :)

When I get time, I'll give a better update... but had to share!!! Awesome plane!

Bipenut53

150cc
That's great [MENTION=3929]AKNick[/MENTION]!!! I've been waiting for the maiden for a while... I'm glad you had fun with it... Your video can't be any worse than mine so put it up!! Lol looking forward to the video