• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

yakken

100cc
I'm thinking about JR servos for this plane (Hitec is still backordered on the Brushless servos for a couple of months). Maybe the:

JR MPH83T MK II Linear Hall Sensor Brushless Torque Servo that Tavis (aka Buttface, although I don't know why he calls himself that, he's a handsome man... I say that in the most non gay way, Tavis! haha) likes so much.

Specs are:

563.8 oz-in @ 7.4V
0.13 sec/60 deg @ 7.4V
Linear Hall Sensor (instead of a potentiometer)

With 563.8 oz-in along with the brushless motor holding power... maybe just one per elevator and two per aileron. So I'll be RTF faster. :) I really want to fly this thing because it is so good looking! And my Sukhoi is amazing and I'm wondering if all the new planes are just better, you know?
Dont believe anything tavis says.[emoji12]

Joe Hunt

150cc
Dont believe anything tavis says.[emoji12]

He is a loose cannon. haha I kid! I kid! ;)

But, it is interesting, I mean who has actually flown the latest brushless servos from all the manufacturers to make a true comparison? In cars the Hitec is said to be the best. I hear in planes the JR, but then there is also the Futaba programmables, how cool is that? haha And, MKS has some wicked specs on their brushless servos. I haven't ran into anyone yet that has flown them all in comparable planes and made even an anecdotal comparison. And, I can understand that, like Rocco, he uses all Hitec because they've always worked for him so why look around? I understand that. Although I get curious. haha

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
I have been running the hitec HSB-9380TH all I can say is wow. The very first flight we actually thought that the servos were not centering but they were actually bending the controlled horns. I was able to take out 3 7950's and replace them with just two of the HSB-9380 and yes they do have way more power. They're like nothing I've ever seen before. Once we are able to cure the horn problem they have been just amazing.

Last edited:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I have been running the hitec HSB-9380TH all I can say is wow. The very first flight we actually thought that the servos were not centering but they were actually bending the controlled horns. I was able to take out 7950 and replace them with just two of the HSB-9380 and yes they do have way more power. There like nothing I've ever seen before. Once we are able to cure the horn problem they have been just amazing.

That's what I'm hearing, but if you do a search anywhere it's hard to find anyone running them. :O

I have been running the hitec HSB-9380TH all I can say is wow. The very first flight we actually thought that the servos were not centering but they were actually bending the controlled horns. I was able to take out 7950 and replace them with just two of the HSB-9380 and yes they do have way more power. There like nothing I've ever seen before. Once we are able to cure the horn problem they have been just amazing.

+1

Joe Hunt

150cc
Two of you guys are running the Hitec 9380s? I feel so left out! Okay, well, even though I've seen these water bottle tanks for years and had them in my 3W planes... I never got around to getting a PSP water bottle fuel tank. I tried one in my Sukhoi and it's working great and is 3oz lighter than the included tank. First thing you have to do is get some water from the store and drink it. I put Monkey on that:

20150814_023953web.jpg

Didn't take him long to put the kit together, either. PSP has a video showing you how it's done:

Anyway, Monkey didn't really let the bottle dry out, we'll have to address that:

20150814_024208web.jpg

PSP sends along Viton with the kit for the carb line... seriously good stuff.

20150814_024258web.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I popped the hatch and the intention becomes clear. Sculpted roundish fuse, bracing, and mostly sheeted. This is really more of a custom kit built in China than what you think of when you say ARF. it really looks like it would go 10 seasons with no trouble at all, as well.

20150813_222638web.jpg

The RX tray is removable, I guess to access pipes, if you have them?

20150813_222649web.jpg

Check out all that sheeting and bracing! And, the strings for the elevator servos, nice:

20150813_222706web.jpg

There does seem to be a pocket in the tail for push/pull rudder servos:

20150813_223007.jpg

Trying to get a shot that shows that rounded fuse:

20150813_222829.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I've been using 22gage extensions, direct soldered and dean's, since pretty much day one. But, with these HV servos and LiPos I even want more. I found these 20gage, gold connector, extensions at www.taildraggerrc.com . I have a tough time crimping 22gage, I'm impressed that they can get 20gage in an RC connector:

20150813_124423.jpg