• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Okay, yeah, so I walk in after dinner and Monkey is all, "Wtf did you do to the plane?!" And, I'm all, "Ah geez, you're kidding me man!"

View attachment 37464

So, Monkey says, "What the hell did you do?!" And, I'm all, "What the hell did =you= do?!"

View attachment 37465

Then he admits it, he was trying to pull off the black checks on the back of the wings and all hell broke loose. Turns out AW really irons the covering down bombproof style now. Lapped covering and leading edges of the wings have the covering pretty much permanently attached. Don't even try to take any covering up unless you're ready to recover... Monkey will tell you! So, Monkey says, "Don't start throwing poop around, I'll have this recovered in a flash."

View attachment 37466

"One thing, Joe, where in the world is my pen?"

View attachment 37467

Oh my. Didn't see that coming as I stopped by to look at this thread.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Oh my. Didn't see that coming as I stopped by to look at this thread.

Yeah, well, I try to fight the voices in my head, but sometimes I lose. haha

Good thing is I get to show you a few things about how the plane is built, and also I get to thin CA the hinge balsa blocks. :)

This first pic not only shows the materials, design and workmanship, but also probably shows why these wings are 2-1/2 oz heavier than the Sukhoi wings (other than being larger). They are built as strong at the tips as they are at the point the wing tube stops. The spar stays beefy all the way out to the tip. There's no flex in these tips unlike my Sukhoi (not saying there is anything wrong with my Sukhoi, it flies totally awesome). Again, this plane just looks like it will hold up to many years of flying.

20150815_181729web.jpg

Look at that balsa, like a high quality kit:

20150815_181922web.jpg

Balsa hinge blocks, I poured a few drops of thin CA on these as long as I had the covering off:

20150815_183533web.jpg

The hinges toward the root get less and less penetration into the wing:

20150815_183933web.jpg

The last hinge on the root side gets about 1/2" of pene.... not sure where naughty will go with that... let's call it embedment. haha

20150815_184132web.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Thing about Monkey that you have to understand... he's a frustrated builder. Add to that his duties "on the bag" (protecting my Taylormade driver for the last eight years without so much as even looking at a model airplane), and you have a monkey on the loose situation, you see? ;)

Thing is, he's still got it, so I guess it's all good. Only took him about an hour to make things right. He knows these stripes are easier for me to see in precision rollers, he was just trying to help me out, is all. :)

20150816_033609web.jpg

20150816_033250web.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Hey, as long as you are satisfied with 1/2" of penetration, that is all that matters, right?

Ah geez, bad monkey, bad monkey.:msn_slap: haha

Thanks about the stripes. :) And, yeah, the hinges look odd at first, but do seem like they'll hold up forever (if done right, I'll get into that later), like everything else on this plane.