• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: Aeroworks QB 150cc Yak 55M

Joe Hunt

150cc
Unfortunately I don't have any of the servos, just fondled Joe's a bit. :joy:

That just sounds wrong. haha

Got started on the hinging tonight while the wife was getting ready to be taken out to dinner. I told her to be ready in 10 minutes because I knew the glue (that I hadn't even mixed up yet) would be setup by then and so that's all the longer I could take. Here's some shots before I mixed up the glue:
20150814_165805web.jpg 20150814_170007web.jpg 20150814_170014web.jpg 20150814_170145web.jpg

I prep'd the hinge knuckles with a healthy amount of Super Lube and worked it into the joint, as well:

20150814_182814web.jpg

I had the hinges all setup like little soldiers, ready for a quick installation:

20150814_182819web.jpg

Had my bamboo skewers ready to go, too. Much cheaper than hobby round sticks:

20150814_182855web.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
I worked fast and neat, but I ran into some difficulties. I think I'll stay with gluing the surfaces first and then putting them into the plane after they have setup. Or, use a glue (gorilla?) that gives me an actual 15 minutes of working time. I made a video where I talk about this:

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay, the JR servos showed up today. The wing hardware that Aeroworks includes in the QB is in the background. AW gives you steel pushrods with a tool, quality balljoints and quality nuts and bolts. AW uses these pushrods and the plastic Hitec servo arms that come with the Hitec servos with no problems whatsoever, and AW test pilots fly their surfaces harder than me, for sure. But, for me, I'm going with titanium pushrods and all stainless steel nuts and bolts from www.microfasteners.com . They clean up easy and look real nice.
icon_e_smile.gif
Looks like 3" is the right length on the pushrods (I'll verify that later during the installation) and I have those in standard H9. I'd like to get them in blue from Team Associated, we'll see if that gets done. haha Also I think the DUBRO blue ball joints will look cool, so I am going with those:

20150815_130649web.jpg

I'm using the included AW control horns because I like the way they spread the load out over the hard point. I like a single bolt better, but I'd have to put in my own hard point to be sure if I was going to use a single bolt. And, again, that is the wrong length blue pushrod, but I want to go blue if I get around to it. haha

20150815_135214web.jpg

SleepyC

150cc
JOE HUNT!
The MASTER of the 0 of 8!
Welcome sir!' We have ROYALTY IN HIZZOUSE!

Very stoked to see what you think of this plane. And seriously thanks for popping in, please stay, break out a lawn chair and chill.
You are more than welcome here!

Joe Hunt

150cc
JOE HUNT!
The MASTER of the 0 of 8!
Welcome sir!' We have ROYALTY IN HIZZOUSE!

Very stoked to see what you think of this plane. And seriously thanks for popping in, please stay, break out a lawn chair and chill.
You are more than welcome here!

Hi Sleepy! Not 0 of 8!!! 3 of 8!!! Watch carefully:

Thanks for the welcome! And, I'm excited to fly the plane, too! Would happen a lot sooner if Monkey would stop customizing shite! haha (you'll see what I mean soon.)

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay, yeah, so I walk in after dinner and Monkey is all, "Wtf did you do to the plane?!" And, I'm all, "Ah geez, you're kidding me man!"

20150815_192504web.jpg

So, Monkey says, "What the hell did you do?!" And, I'm all, "What the hell did =you= do?!"

20150815_192602web.jpg

Then he admits it, he was trying to pull off the black checks on the back of the wings and all hell broke loose. Turns out AW really irons the covering down bombproof style now. Lapped covering and leading edges of the wings have the covering pretty much permanently attached. Don't even try to take any covering up unless you're ready to recover... Monkey will tell you! So, Monkey says, "Don't start throwing poop around, I'll have this recovered in a flash."

20150815_194751web.jpg

"One thing, Joe, where in the world is my pen?"

20150815_194849web.jpg