• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bavarian Demon Cortex

dskuro95

100cc
can you let us know how it helps? can you please tell how much difference it makes when you try to a rolling harrier?

Rolling harriers just feel a bit smoother to me. I already know how to do them so I dont know how well it would help you learn them.

It will help you with point rolls and wing rock though. So if you are having trouble there, no need to fear.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Fast3D
I see you own an EF MXS. My first 60" was an EF Edge. That thing is SOOOO stable and easy to learn 3D on!

When I got the MXS it frankly was a handful for me. While doing 3D it has the ability to capitalize on small pilot error in a BIG way. I was often having the snort scared out of me by the plane reacting quickly and violently to my mistakes. I also lost a couple due to that.

After installing the Cortex I fell in love with the MXS! It smoothed everything out for me and at high gain it slowed the plane's reaction time down just enough to allow my brain to keep up with it. I now prefer the MXS to the EDGE!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Not exactly the harshest weather today, but there will be *some* wind to test out:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395060537.102525.jpg

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I most definitely will get a Cortex gyro after I fit out my next plane. Allow me to think out loud and get your opinions. Are you worried that in some small way you will loose some skill using the gyro? I struggle with belly in hovering. By the video it sure looks easy hovering with throttle only. I guess if you are trying to impress others it's a good thing but I however have always been my worse critic.
Another way I can can explain it is in my work world, I work for Nike Golf and I design clubs, specifically technology in clubs. If you really want to get better playing golf you should play/practice with a set of clubs harder for you to hit and compete with a set that is right for you. I have a bad back and right after it got bad I started playing easier to hit clubs than I should be playing and in 2 years my game really started to slip. I am back to forged clubs with better heavy shafts and my skills have returned.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowJacketsRC

70cc twin V2
Ohio, I am not sure what video you are referring to, but it sounds like the video is demonstrating the "Hold Mode" feature. This feature will allow you to hover basically hands free. In my mind that is no more useful than a parlor trick.

I use the Cortex in "Normal Mode". Instead of causing me to lose skill, it has allowed me to gain skill. Hovering with belly in or doing torque rolls is a perfect example. Before the Cortex I would chase the plane around while hovering and easily get confused and have to punch out. The Cortex in normal mode will not hover for you. If you do the wrong thing you will lose hover and or crash. What the Cortex does is to HELP to stabilize the plane. If you are in a hover for example, and you allow the plane to "fall out", the Cortex slows that process down ever so slightly. It allowed me that extra bit of time to see what was happening, especially when I gave incorrect inputs, and make the proper adjustments. It sort of works like when you slow the graphics down in Real Flight. After using the Cortex for some time now, I can easily hover and torque roll without it. I am still better at it with the Cortex on, but I can now do it with it turned off. Also, I have the gain on my Cortex on a three way switch. This allows me to turn the Cortex off, on with low gain, or on with high gain. I use the high gain during high winds. I use low gain normally. As my skills improve, I have been lowering the low gain so as to allow me to work into flying sans gyro altogether.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Have to reply quick about to close the doors on a 14-12 hour trip to Seoul. The video was on their site showing a foamy hovering with one hand on the transmitter.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ohio, I am not sure what video you are referring to, but it sounds like the video is demonstrating the "Hold Mode" feature. This feature will allow you to hover basically hands free. In my mind that is no more useful than a parlor trick.

I use the Cortex in "Normal Mode". Instead of causing me to lose skill, it has allowed me to gain skill. Hovering with belly in or doing torque rolls is a perfect example. Before the Cortex I would chase the plane around while hovering and easily get confused and have to punch out. The Cortex in normal mode will not hover for you. If you do the wrong thing you will lose hover and or crash. What the Cortex does is to HELP to stabilize the plane. If you are in a hover for example, and you allow the plane to "fall out", the Cortex slows that process down ever so slightly. It allowed me that extra bit of time to see what was happening, especially when I gave incorrect inputs, and make the proper adjustments. It sort of works like when you slow the graphics down in Real Flight. After using the Cortex for some time now, I can easily hover and torque roll without it. I am still better at it with the Cortex on, but I can now do it with it turned off. Also, I have the gain on my Cortex on a three way switch. This allows me to turn the Cortex off, on with low gain, or on with high gain. I use the high gain during high winds. I use low gain normally. As my skills improve, I have been lowering the low gain so as to allow me to work into flying sans gyro altogether.

Well put Robert.

This is exactly why I was excited about trying a Cortex, as I feel like with my skill level, I'm the perfect person to examine how the Cortex allows me to slow things down and improve some of my skills.

I also setup the 3 position switch, so I'll be able to compare and contrast the different modes.

Can't wait!

dskuro95

100cc
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION], I recommend putting it on a slider or a dial for trial. While you are flying you can increase or decrease the percentage. I did this yesterday on mine, and it worked great. Once you find out where you like it, you can make a normal 3 position switch with that percentage.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Well put Robert.

This is exactly why I was excited about trying a Cortex, as I feel like with my skill level, I'm the perfect person to examine how the Cortex allows me to slow things down and improve some of my skills.

I also setup the 3 position switch, so I'll be able to compare and contrast the different modes.

Can't wait!