• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bowman rings....Gone!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Just run the stock ones, they changed the material used a long time ago and they break in just like DA, ZDZ etc. They do have a slightly larger gap but they are doing well. Both my DLE120's are two years old and running same compression as my 111 with bowman rings.
There it is. The newer ones are just fine. No need to put different ones in.

poprlite

50cc
Alright that's two votes for the stock ring's. I'll save some money and stick to the stock set. Still going to find out if that's a good source that chickenballs give me and report back with what I find out.

thurmma

150cc
I just emailed the company and the smallest bore they make rings for is 2". The DLE 170 has a 2.05" bore. Other than that, most everything else is to small for them. I didn't bother asking about price when I found out this information.

Flyrcjoe

70cc twin V2
Ask @Flyrcjoe talked to him at HOW, and he gave me someones contact for finding decent rings. I can't remember who it was, BUT he wrote it on top of cowl box we had in camp. @emtp275 look on that box tell us what it is.

What motor are you looking for rings for? I do stock ZDZ parts at http://zdzusa.com/.
I think you might have the wrong Joe. I have never been to HOW. I don't know of any other ring manufacturer.

poprlite

50cc
I just emailed the company and the smallest bore they make rings for is 2". The DLE 170 has a 2.05" bore. Other than that, most everything else is to small for them. I didn't bother asking about price when I found out this information.

Ok well that's no good. Back to the drawing board

emtp275

100cc
I have to agree some with the new rings in DLE being better, I was a huge difference in the performance of my 55 when I did it but my DLE 61 the gap was smaller but the motor didn't seem to improve like the 55 did.

Edit.. I must fix what I said lol after looking back I did get an increase with the 61 but the 55 and my 30 were night and day

Last edited:
I can say that my 120 was greatly affected by the addition of the rings, mostly due to the reduction in ring gap, and the bowman rings seemed to make better contact with the cylinder wall compared to the stock rings. Although I have not measured the compression with a gauge I noticed out of the box the bowman rings had improved compression in the 120.

I also installed one in a 55 I used to have. I would say that the compression in that was also increased. Performance of that engine was better after the ring install.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
What motor are you looking for rings for? I do stock ZDZ parts at http://zdzusa.com/.
I think you might have the wrong Joe. I have never been to HOW. I don't know of any other ring manufacturer.
These where for DLE not ZDZ. I musta got my Joe's mixed up lol
THat ain't good news, but sounds like from reading this thread, the china guys are making a better ring.