• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Brand New PAU........Viper-ST Announced!!!!!!!!

tylerzx9r

100cc
Both correct as I understand it, but we had this debate with the kit Vipers and it sounds like nobody can clearly explain exactly what the "10%" rule entails. Other than the stab shape, this plane is nearly exactly modeled after an MXS. However scale was not really a factor since it's supposed to be something "different". It catches a lot of eyes for sure, I don't know how many times in the last two years with mine at events I've answered the question "It's awesome, but what is it?"

Short answer, its a Viper....and it's awesome:mario-banana:!
Truth be told.... Terry cannot design anything other than AWESOME!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Thanks @ericb , now I have to decide if I want the ARF or kit! I like the idea of the foam wings, but between the cost of building a kit and covering and purchasing all of the vacuum stuff, the ARF will definitely be cheaper. Decisions, decisions! :D

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It looks more and more that the 10% rule is a legend:
1- I have never seen a tape measure at any contest, and I don't know anyone who has seen any plane measured,
2- The "Scale" aspect of the rules is probably the biggest joke: there is no way to measure the scale appearance. All it takes is looking at the number of planes out there that could not be identified as an Extra if there was no trim scheme or stickers.

This Viper is definitely a scale model of Terry's original viper :adore:

sweetpea

100cc
This Viper is definitely a scale model of Terry's original viper :adore:

I like that one! And I don't care if the Viper isn't a scale plane. It looks cool and that is what counts!

Scale and 10% isn't a myth, I was a CD for many IMAC contests and I know many planes wouldn't fit the bill. But it's more than just a tape measure as 10% gives alot of lattitude. I just don't know if that goes as far as split ailerons and SFG's if the full scale version of your plane didn't have it. As a CD I would have rejected those and made the contestant prove (as the rules state) that it met scale requirements. Those 2 items though were not around when I ran my IMAC contests though in my region.