• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Build Log Top Flite P-40E Warhawk Gold Edition kit

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Baby came last Saturday around lunch time. We're all adjusting to this new life of being a family if four. Hobby time is 0 for now as I hit the exhausted wall quickly these days.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Oh man congrats! Time to pass out the cigars… woooo hoo…

tl-inset_web.jpeg

Boy or girl? Healthy is all that really matters and that he or she loves RC Airplanes!

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Thanks. It's another boy for us. So hopefully another copilot as my first loves r/c: watching me in the yard with micros, helping fly the Estes Proto X quad, and Real Flight.

Today my oldest gave my newborn his first taste as he wanted to fly on the computer and asked for brother to sit in his chair and watch. So there was the three of us flying Real Flight on the TV.

Btw- keep the cigars and pass out bottles of Root Beer.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Hi Redude07
I just looked over your build log on your construction of the Top Flite kit. Please dont stop building because of the arrival. I have one of these still in the box and am contemplating starting construction and your build log is really helpful even though i have noticed you have been working on it for about a year and half. Do you think the build can be accomplished in about 6 to 8 monthe as that is my window to avoid Hurricane season around here. I dont want to loose any more projects to mother nature.

SnowDog

Hi Charles, welcome to the forum! rcdude07 has been interrupted a few times but he keeps plugging away. There are others on the forum that would 1) enjoy watching you build your kit, and 2) enjoy helping you out if you need it, so I guess I'm saying, start building now and we'll all help as much as we can. I love watching warbirds come to life from a bunch of sticks. :D

Charles

70cc twin V2
Thanks Im getting everything and working on setting up a build table. I have put together four ARF's since I got back i nto it in 2005 but the last kit build was a Nobler back in 1956 when I was twelve. I used my Aunts slate pool table for a build table. I thought i was gracious of her to let a kid do that but it was a great flat surface and tha plane was a winner. Im planning on powering the P-40 with a RCV 90 spinning a three blade prop. It should look real authentic. What is your take on this. The RCV has a 2 to 1 reduction to the prop so it shouldnt have any trouble spinning it. The only mod to the plane will be a small hole for the starter to start the engine since it cant be stated with the prop.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Hey Charles.

Yes my build is taking a long time as my schedule doesn't let me sit down for hours at a time. I'm thinking your time frame is okay if you get more time than I do consecutively. Yes, I have been interrupted many times. But as my dad taught me growing up, rushing a build is bad. So I'm taking my time and enjoying the process. The last kit I built was my Great Planes .60 Extra 300, and that was when I was in the 10th or 11th grade with my dad pushing/helping me. Another reason for the slowness is I have to do my sanding outside when the weather permits as I don't have an ideal space indoors to keep balsa dust somewhat contained. This is also my first build since getting married and buying our house. So I had to spend time and money getting the necessary tools and equipment. Do pay attention to building the wings as they are built upside down.

If you find a good WWII 2" pilot, let me know. Hangar 9 used to have one and was going to my preferred pilot choice bit haven't seen it listed in a few months.

Charles

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the info We are about the same as my last kit I was 12 in 1956 and it was a Nobler which was a new kit then. My space is ok as I have a shop under the house but it is suceptable to flooding in a hurricane and got 6 feet of water in 2008 so I kind of shy away from starting any projects in hurricane season. I lost a lot of things then including 6 radios and a bunch of servos and reseivers.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Only for me it was 2001. LOL. Sorry to make you feel old. Don't blame you for wanting to wait until after the season.

Its tough to make huge progress when I get about 3 hours a week to build, weekends when its nap time for the kiddo.

Charles

70cc twin V2
OK You have convinced me into going ahead and starting this project. I set up my build table today and brought the kit over. I'm going to do a build log like yours but cant figure out how to start a thread Can you help me out here . You were asking me about a pilot for your plane here is a really nice one that i am going to use in mine. http://www.acesofiron.com/7th_scale.htm