• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

so i went out to take my 7 year old bowling, she played two games, then i took her to BK, she ate all her food!! this was good. then i came home, and made the second of the side presses. these are going to be 7" wide, and 85" in length. once these are cured, since i had to glue together, i will then cut the wood sticks to be 12" long, and then i will mark out where to glue these on to the side press panels, so that they line up with each former. then sand down the inner side of the press, then put everything ready to compress it once i apply the TITEBOND to the surfaces.

i will reuse the aluminum angles and also press down the fuselage to the flat table ( i just rechecked again to make sure it was 100% flat.) using weights.

will take more pics tomorrow.

i forgot to mention, i am in no hurry with this one. i want it to come out real good.

i will, however, need to make a decision on the exhaust so i can make any mounts or whatever be soon, rather than later.

1782=916-IMG_5870.jpg
1782=916-IMG_5870.jpg
1782=917-IMG_5871.jpg
1782=917-IMG_5871.jpg
1782=918-IMG_5872.jpg
1782=918-IMG_5872.jpg
1782=919-IMG_5873.jpg
1782=919-IMG_5873.jpg

side presses were ready this morning for me to glue the wood sticks to them, total of 9 per side, (18 total), they are 12" long.

i sanded down the sides of the side presses, the side that will be up against the balsa skin, and i sanded down the side press edge, the side that will be down onto the table.

i placed the side press on the fuselage, with the skins in between, then mounted the aluminum angles.

then i marked the 9 areas to place the sticks, and i drew a longitudinal line, depicting the height of the aluminum rail onto the side press.

removed the side presses, then glued on the sticks.

now, i will wait for those to dry, then maybe tonight, i will glue the fuselage sides on.

1842=931-IMG_5874.jpg
1842=931-IMG_5874.jpg
1842=932-IMG_5875.jpg
1842=932-IMG_5875.jpg
1842=933-IMG_5876.jpg
1842=933-IMG_5876.jpg
1842=934-IMG_5877.jpg
1842=934-IMG_5877.jpg
1842=935-IMG_5878.jpg
1842=935-IMG_5878.jpg

Super08

70cc twin V2
Looking good Cam, I am really going to enjoy following this build as I would like to build a Dalton some time.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Very cool Ortho...........is this your first kit to build?

Seems like an overwhelming task to me. I'd like to build a Carden or Dalton but would be very hesitant; even with detailed build instructions provided by the manufacturer; of messing something up on a $2000 kit. It's the little "tricks of the trade" you only learn from building that I do not know. Trial and error on this type of quality kit probably isn't the best approach. Is there any particular thread(s) you looked at before starting your build?

Looking forward to the rest of your build and seeing pictures of the finished bird.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Flatspinjim;1612 wrote: Good to see you start this thread here Cam.

As far as the sheeting, I always use Titebond for the joints. I join the two pieces and run masking tape over the joint. I then flip it over and let one piece hang over the table edge so it opens up the joint. I then run a bead of glue in the joint, lay it flat on the table again and squegee the excess glue off.

I've never done foam wings but I"ve used Titebond on lots of carpentry projects and even to fix the broken neck of a Gibson Les Paul! There aren't any issues with the balsa edges pulling apart?

What's the best option these days for adhering the sheeting to the foam once the balsa planks are joined up and sanded?

Thanks!

Bart

captain Roll, absolutely, there are at least 6 other threads on the site we will not mention the name, but the builders: Matty matt, Gordo, ben beyer, sc204, carlos7, sukhoi26, vmceachern, &, one my favorites : trumpetman. not my first kit either, but yes, my first big big kit.

that is why i am taking my time, + the instructions that Tony provides is also very good. if you read and study the threads and read the instructions before ever dripping glue, you will be able to do it.

and, thanks to this great community, i can send one of those guys i mentioned a PM, they usually will answer and tell me what to do or answer my questions.

let me go to the shop now and glue the skins on!!!

Bartman;1894 wrote: I've never done foam wings but I"ve used Titebond on lots of carpentry projects and even to fix the broken neck of a Gibson Les Paul! There aren't any issues with the balsa edges pulling apart?

What's the best option these days for adhering the sheeting to the foam once the balsa planks are joined up and sanded?

Thanks!

Bart

for that step, it is recommended to use polyurethane glue (gorilla type glue) some moisture, and lots of pressure (weights).

Super08

70cc twin V2
I haven't tried the new method yet, what I used to use was the green 3M contact cement. Worked great and was foam safe.

i glued a plywood block, in the tail, in the event that i am able to use a root rib on the stabs that allows me to put screws into the fuselage. OTW, i will have to put a wood dowel into the CF tube, and then use a screw that goes in from the bottom to lock the stabs in.

1927=970-IMG_5879.jpg
1927=970-IMG_5879.jpg
1927=969-IMG_5880.jpg
1927=969-IMG_5880.jpg