• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dalton 300 non MEL

Bunky F. Knuckle;17141 wrote: Got the prop today [MENTION=185]Flatspinjim[/MENTION]. All looks good man! Thanks! :)

Just to locate my aluminum 5" spinner backplate........

Glad it got there ok. Hurry up and find that back plate and get that thing back in the air.

Looking forward to hearing how the engine works.

Bunky F. Knuckle;17140 wrote: Taken from the first post.........

Background on the swap to the 164......

I had a piston pin failure in 2012 with the original 157CSTS on this airframe. Flew it for a couple of months on a DA150. Then I bought a 3W QS150, which woke the beast back up! I scrounged around and found a cylinder set for the 170, classic single spark. I kept things around and covered up. I got ahold of Joe Lewis here in Ohio. Told him what I wanted to do. He said "sounds like fun"! 2 weeks later, I got a text message with a video in it from Joe. Not sure what prop he used, but it rapped up like no tomorrow! I was impressed, to say the least!! But Joe had to machine off .010" or 1mm off the bottom of the cylinders, so that the exhaust port timing would be the same as the 157.

Interesting!

Thanks for the explanation.

Checked the needle settings from the weekend past. Looked like both were 4 turns out..... :( Closed them up to 1 1/4 each and it got much better, but still not perfect. Turns almost 6100 on the ground, but goes rich in the air. Still need some small tweeks to the needles, and then I'll be happy with it. I expect it to turn up close to 65-6600 on the 30x13. L needle is still really rich, it doesn't idle down for landing. Holds about 2500........

Overall, I'm satisfied.

While out today, after getting the engine sorta fingered out, I put it thru some IMAC style paces. Holy shizzle! I forgot how well this thing locks in, precision wise. It flys better with more speed, for sure!