• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Delro 2.5M Raven Build

Wacobipe

100cc
I will be replacing the photos in this thread and continuing the build...but it is on an undefined hold. My father is critically ill and I have a lot of work travel coming up so I don't know when I'll get back to work. You guys will be getting the dates the moment something happens!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will be replacing the photos in this thread and continuing the build...but it is on an undefined hold. My father is critically ill and I have a lot of work travel coming up so I don't know when I'll get back to work. You guys will be getting the dates the moment something happens!
Sorry to hear of your father. Wishing him the best. Take your time....looking forward to updates as you have time.

Alky6

150cc
What...no comments on my hinging alternatives
sf-cry.gif
...you must all be out enjoying the amazing flying weather we've had here the past couple days!
onthego.png
That does not, however, excuse you from participating in the thread. Now get to work with your responses!
I am a relative noob to this stuff, but FWIW... Since the deflections are going to be relatively small for IMAC, couldn't you just cut a long strip out of the front of the aileron at its centerline to make room for the carbon tube? This would be done versus drilling, then make slots to mount up your hinge hard points. Use the carbon tube to slide in the assembly all at once for alignment? I tend to try to build pianos all the time (so I am told). I say go for option 2!

Alky6

150cc
Just read this. So sorry, wishing you and your father the best.

Wacobipe

100cc
I am a relative noob to this stuff, but FWIW... Since the deflections are going to be relatively small for IMAC, couldn't you just cut a long strip out of the front of the aileron at its centerline to make room for the carbon tube? This would be done versus drilling, then make slots to mount up your hinge hard points. Use the carbon tube to slide in the assembly all at once for alignment? I tend to try to build pianos all the time (so I am told). I say go for option 2!
There are some clever ideas here...I'll have to consider that as I get back onto this build.

Wacobipe

100cc
OK...I've had a bit of time with the Holiday weekend so I replaced all the photos (lost them all in the the website transition) so this build thread is complete.

I also worked out the hinge set-up and ordered the parts...nylon bearings from McMaster Carr as detailed in an earlier post, carbon fiber rods and the sheet to make the hinge halves that will insert into the wing/aileron and tail/elevator/rudder surfaces...$200 later I have everything ordered...maybe I should have stuck with Robart hinge points...Naaa...as my signature says: "I never met a build project I couldn't make harder than it needs to be!" apparently I need to add "more expensive" as well:oblong:

Oh well...you only live once and you can't take the money with you:dancing-chicken::dancing-chicken::dancing-chicken:

Alky6

150cc
OK...I've had a bit of time with the Holiday weekend so I replaced all the photos (lost them all in the the website transition) so this build thread is complete.

I also worked out the hinge set-up and ordered the parts...nylon bearings from McMaster Carr as detailed in an earlier post, carbon fiber rods and the sheet to make the hinge halves that will insert into the wing/aileron and tail/elevator/rudder surfaces...$200 later I have everything ordered...maybe I should have stuck with Robart hinge points...Naaa...as my signature says: "I never met a build project I couldn't make harder than it needs to be!" apparently I need to add "more expensive" as well:oblong:

Oh well...you only live once and you can't take the money with you:dancing-chicken::dancing-chicken::dancing-chicken:
Nice! Looking forward to the hinge build!