• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

Judge

70cc twin V2
I'm wondering if your issue was the ignition and not the module. Did you try the plugs with the new module??

FWIW I have 3 gallons through my 58 running the iridium plug. No issues at all.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm wondering if your issue was the ignition and not the module. Did you try the plugs with the new module??

FWIW I have 3 gallons through my 58 running the iridium plug. No issues at all.
You were meaning the ignition module and not the plugs???? Actually, I did try the plugs both ways. Nearly no spark at all with the Iridium's. While the NGK's gave a noticeable sharp "POP" and I could literally see the spark jump the electrodes. Yes, there is no doubt one module was absolutely and undeniably "DOA". Just out of curiosity? What style module do you have with your 58? The ones I received looked...well, they just looked very cheesy and cheap. Just curious. I think it is awesome your 58 is running so great.:way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just awesome Rob! the idle sounds deep and authoritative while the acceleration is off the chart! Truly BAD ASS!
Thanks Kelly.... I can hardly wait to get it all together so I can 3D the snot outta it. LOL. I have all my components laid out and ready for install. Have a few more on the way. An extra tank for....SMOKE. And some dual wing harnesses. (I sure like those things). Don't really care for the wheels, so new ones on the way.

I need to start with cutting the motor box back to accommodate the length of the 128. I wasn't about to cut it until I knew for "CERTAIN" the motor was going to run and be okie dokie. Ah, but that is a whole new build thread up and coming.:yesss:

Judge

70cc twin V2
You were meaning the ignition module and not the plugs???? Actually, I did try the plugs both ways. Nearly no spark at all with the Iridium's. While the NGK's gave a noticeable sharp "POP" and I could literally see the spark jump the electrodes. Yes, there is no doubt one module was absolutely and undeniably "DOA". Just out of curiosity? What style module do you have with your 58? The ones I received looked...well, they just looked very cheesy and cheap. Just curious. I think it is awesome your 58 is running so great.:way_to_go:

Sorry, late night typing. I meant the ignition module versus the plugs. My module is a black box, doesn't look any more cheesy than any other ignition module I've seen or used. Mine seems to work fine with the iridium plugs. I may try with a normal NGK just to see if I can feel any differences.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry, late night typing. I meant the ignition module versus the plugs. My module is a black box, doesn't look any more cheesy than any other ignition module I've seen or used. Mine seems to work fine with the iridium plugs. I may try with a normal NGK just to see if I can feel any differences.
Interesting, my ignition modules are a black box also, but look like there is a "AA" battery inside. I know this must be the capacitor. But still looks very weak in design. I dunno...I just know I was not a happy camper last night when I was trying to get it running. After putting the DLE ignition on, she fired right up and run.... well, you see the video. I think I will just ask for replacement RCExcel ignition modules. Or, maybe I will just buy them myself. All in all though, that motor runs better than I anticipated. I am very pleased with it.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

Your 128 seems to run very well.

Please don't take what you're about to read the wrong way, but I'm compiled to type this. I wish you would refrain from standing in the prop arc while the engine is running. I have been in this hobby quite a few years and I've read more than one thread about motors throwing their prop. I've even read about a man that was ground running his Waco and the 3W157 sheered all six prop bolts and threw the prop. Luckily the guy was standing behind the prop when it happened. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

My sincerest hope is that I have not offended you or anyone else who reads this. I would just hate to have anything happen to any of the friends I've met on this AWESOME site.

That is the first thing I tell people when they come up to look at a plane when I am starting or running it up, don't stand in front of or straight out to the side of the prop. Love when the glow guys lift their planes off the table and swing 'em around over their heads to test the tune and in the process point it at every one in the pits. Glad I never did that when I was glowtarded. ;)