• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLA Engines

M

Matt

hey everyone new-ish to here... I have a DLA116 mounted to my hangar 9 beast. It was brand new from Lee. I have a couple comments to add to all this. the stock mufflers on the 116 at least the newest one I got are actually really nice and have HUGE area for exhaust to escape! it sounds really good too.. also make sure you use the plugs that come with the engine. they are iridium, I was dumb and tried to put in regular NGK CM6 plugs and it would not start switched back to the DLA plugs and it fires right up and runs great. on the Beast with a Vess stealth 27b it will accelerate on a vertical up line at 1/2 throttle, honestly I haven't even used full power at all! what a great engine so far!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
hey everyone new-ish to here... I have a DLA116 mounted to my hangar 9 beast. It was brand new from Lee. I have a couple comments to add to all this. the stock mufflers on the 116 at least the newest one I got are actually really nice and have HUGE area for exhaust to escape! it sounds really good too.. also make sure you use the plugs that come with the engine. they are iridium, I was dumb and tried to put in regular NGK CM6 plugs and it would not start switched back to the DLA plugs and it fires right up and runs great. on the Beast with a Vess stealth 27b it will accelerate on a vertical up line at 1/2 throttle, honestly I haven't even used full power at all! what a great engine so far!
That is sweet to hear Matt. Curious though why the NGK's didn't work in the motor.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
For them not to work at all does not make that much sense since the differences are so minimal.

From the @Taildraggerrc website:
Features
Iridium spark plug
DLA specially tailored for DLA engine, many advantage:
1, Even Ignition energy and strong spark intensity.
2, Low carbon deposit formation tendency.
3, Long life.
3, Easy start when rich

M

Matt

Sorry guys they would work kind of... They would pop and try to run like for a couple seconds then quit and when it would quit it was violent. I thought the timing was off and after it tried to cut my fingers off I just out of curiosity stuck the stock plugs in and 3rd flip it ran like a top

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sorry guys they would work kind of... They would pop and try to run like for a couple seconds then quit and when it would quit it was violent. I thought the timing was off and after it tried to cut my fingers off I just out of curiosity stuck the stock plugs in and 3rd flip it ran like a top
Very interesting.....I just happen to have four brand new NGK's. I will try the stock plugs first with the stock rings. Then I will try the NGK's. Lastly, I will install the Bowman rings. I am getting closer now as the airframe finally arrived today. I will be mounting just the motor, stock exhaust and a temp. gas pedal. Just to get some first hand data. After the initial testing is done, I will go to town putting this package together. I am getting very excited now that the airframe is here. I am very impressed and excited to relate, the cowl...(which I expected to be one piece as my PAU) is actually already pre-split. This is going to be such a breeze to do the baffling and everything else. Whoo hooo!!!!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
What voltage are you running your ignition at? If you step up the voltage or are able to then the NGK should work fine. Iridium plugs will have a hotter spark at the same voltage as with standard plugs. NGK has iridium plugs too but I do not know if the CM-6 is available yet as an iridium.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What voltage are you running your ignition at? If you step up the voltage or are able to then the NGK should work fine. Iridium plugs will have a hotter spark at the same voltage as with standard plugs. NGK has iridium plugs too but I do not know if the CM-6 is available yet as an iridium.
Don't know about anyone else but since the ignition modules are designed for 4.8 to 8.4 volts, I will be running my usual set up of 7.4 Li-Ion from Fromeco. I will however be doing a bit of a slight change on power source.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Don't know about anyone else but since the ignition modules are designed for 4.8 to 8.4 volts, I will be running my usual set up of 7.4 Li-Ion from Fromeco. I will however be doing a bit of a slight change on power source.

Just for FYI to all.....I have been running the 6volt version of the EME ignition with a 2 cell lipo for two years now and it does produce a noticeably hotter spark resulting in a 100 or so rpm gain. Engine runs a tad hotter too but not to the extent that any richening would be required. Kinda like lighting a fire with a torch instead of a match. Here is a pic of the plug after 2 years service with higher ignition input voltage....
Snapshot_20150522.JPG

M

Matt

Ah see that might be my issue... I know it is good for 8.4 volts but I already had a smartly regulated ignition kill so I am only using 6 volts that is more than likely where the issue with a normal cm6 came from... At any rate I really like this engine as its my first other than the 3 da's and one zenoha I have and I am not even lying when I say that DA better watch out if this engine holds up

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Just for FYI to all.....I have been running the 6volt version of the EME ignition with a 2 cell lipo for two years now and it does produce a noticeably hotter spark resulting in a 100 or so rpm gain. Engine runs a tad hotter too but not to the extent that any richening would be required. Kinda like lighting a fire with a torch instead of a match. Here is a pic of the plug after 2 years service with higher ignition input voltage....
View attachment 28227
Ok don't wanna stink up Rob's thread, but tell me if there are differences in ignitions. I've got em use only on such and such engine (DLE 85 use only, DLE 20 use only, and so on) I'm running 4.8V on 2 planes, even though they say up to 6V, seen several of the first gen. DLE igni. burnt up, but after reading your post Kelly, I think an upgrade to 6V is in order.