• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

This is the way I did my baffling. It tool quite some time to do, and now, here are the results. SO what I did is the following. Which was a labor of love . I extended the front lip of the bottom cowl to the front of the cylinders, first using balsa sheeting 1/16th", then layers of 3/4 ounce fiberglass tape and West System Epoxy resin. Then, laid a single layer of carbon fiber cloth with resin. to strengthen this, The front lip then had to be filled with bondo / filler, then sanded down to make it smooth. Once this was done. I then glued on rails on both sides, about 1/2" wide, extending them back, so that I can then install the baffle plates, one on each side. In the back, I glued on(using Aeropoxy) plywood, that is fixed to the firewall, and fills that rear gap. All that is left to do is drill holes thru the whole thing, and fix with 4-40 screws and blind nuts. The Shroud is on as well.

IMG_3012.JPG
Bggqf.jpeg
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG

The Instrument panel has been installed. Need to see what the balance is like, before I install a pilot. I can either use a one ounce pilot, or one that weighs about 6 to 8 ounces, this will help me in getting balance right. I intentionally installed the central box 400 as far back as possible, to help counter the increased nose weight of a quad motor.

IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3022.JPG

Rusty 73

100cc
Nice work on the clean paint lines ,looks good .
I was thinking of using 3/32 plywood for the baffle for my engine with some support on the bottom cowl and around the each cylinder .

The cost of the tape is well worth it when you calculate the time it would take to sand down the bleed and repaint the area .

A trick I used to get rid of the tape line lip was to wait a day and then wet sand with 600-800 grit to smooth out the edge and any orange peel on the paint.
You have to be careful NOT to sand through the edge and only take the high spots down of the paint . It's very time consuming but you get a smooth glass like appearance , just something i have learned when paint racing airplanes along time ago .

I was considering of wet sanding all the glassed parts, and then clear coating it. What do you think of that? Good idea or bad idea? meaning, not worth it?

Rusty 73

100cc
Cam you do excellent work i love the colors and design you did a get job finishing .
Like how you elevated the central box in the fuselage and the cockpit instruments looks great .
In the sun those colors will really pop even more with that design , i do love the that bluein that design it looks fantastic .:big_yes:

Rusty 73

100cc
The wet sanding is really only if you have a lot of orange peel and thick edges and can live with the look of it .Too me it's a lot of extra look to get a super smooth paint appearance and if you haven't clear coated yet you can do it . I have found that when there is orange peel I have tended to spray more clear coat in effirts to smooth out the finsh . This is were you can pick up alot of extra weight trying to compensate for a not so smooth paint finsh underneath

Plane two looks

Rusty 73

100cc
Like the baffles around the cylinder this it what i am going to due using the aircraft plywood , good idea with 4-40 bolts and blind bolts to anchor it down .
Those the shroud attach to to the upper cowl to prevent it from moving , i do like that shroud will help in controling temps especial to the back cylinders.
I does look good painted blue in the cowl compartment gives it that clean finished look.