• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Cappy, you know I like to make things difficult for me self....

this 1st one came out good. I hear ya though.

Now, to do three more.

I realized last night, that I had only made two skins, which each gets split in two. That means, I only edge glued enough sheets for 2 stabs, and not 4.

SO there will be slight delay in getting Airplane #1's stab sheeted.

Cappy, what do you think?
IMG_2058.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
IMG_2060.JPG

Well, I wanted to show how I did this, so on the 2nd one, I was able to take step by step pictures. Enjoy:

Here is my sheet, 24" long, by 8 sheets edge glued.
IMG_2061.JPG

this is the diagram that demonstrates how to cut it.
IMG_2062.JPG

once I marked the points on both sides, using a straight edge as a guide, i used a sharp knife and separated the top from bottom skin.
IMG_2063.JPG

both top and bottom skin
IMG_2064.JPG

i then place it over the top surface of the stab, and prepare to draw out and delineate where I need to trim.
IMG_2065.JPG

next step, I place the bottom skin over the stab...
IMG_2066.JPG

I will then mark out where I need to notch the sheet..
IMG_2067.JPG

I will then use a straight edge, and delineate a smooth straight line for the two notches.

IMG_2068.JPG

this will give you an idea of how much I will remove
IMG_2069.JPG

and here it is, after I remove those area to allow for the tab of the root cap.
IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

now, to trim the sheet.
IMG_2073.JPG

after trimming it
IMG_2074.JPG

ready to apply the resin, but, this cannot be placed down side down, yet...
IMG_2075.JPG

as you can see, the tabs would not allow it to lay flat.
IMG_2076.JPG

Here is the spacer...
IMG_2077.JPG

and now, down side, is down.
IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

now, to apply the resin...

IMG_2080.JPG

getting ready to place it in the bag...
IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG

In the bag. I will check it this afternoon when i get home from work. Not demonstrated, there is a plywood placed over the foam, before starting the vacuum, and then I added some weights on top.

IMG_2084.JPG

capthis

70cc twin V2
Again looks great! I hope in my next house I can actually have a shop and not just work out the two car attached garage! :)

So many airplanes to build so little time....

No pictures, but I do have some updates...

This morning, I was able to bag the second the stab, and when i got home from work this afternoon, I did proceed to examine it, and sure snuff, came out great. I sanded all the edges smooth, and then mounted it on the fuselage, and the contact was intimate.

Then, I proceeded to edge glue the 2 sets of 8 sheets, 24" long, for the 2nd set of stabs. And then, I went back at 8 pm, and checked them, sanded them down, and then cut them. Now, they are ready to glue on.

But, I have to 1st sand down the root caps flush with the foam. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Once I am done with this, I will need to add the TE and LE to all 8 surfaces (4 wings and 4 stabs), sand them down, and then they will be ready for me to set the incidence.

To all a good evening. I will be oN call starting tomorrow from 7 am until tuesday at 7 am, so wish me luck!

Thank you Mark. Have fun in CC and safe travels.

Just sanded down the root caps, and prepped the skins some more. Today, I have 1/2 day of work, if nothing emergent comes in, then I will head to the club and do a bit of flying. When I return, this evening, I will be able to bag the last two stabs. After this, I will be done with the Vacuum Bagging, until the MX2 arrives.

IMG_2085.JPG

Thank you very much Dean, for the compliment, I have a the very best mentor.

I was able to go today to the club, and we test flew the Dalton Yak. It has a quad in it, and since 1st flight, always seemed sluggish. I removed the KS 95 canisters, and installed pro flows, and now, it is a totally different airplane. Using the onboard telemetry, the peak RPM before, using a 30 x 13 EVO CF two blade, Mejzlik propeller, i was getting, in the air, 6490 RPM. Now, with the pro flows, I am now getting 7050 RPM in the air, same prop.

I just hope these canisters hold up!

Kyle flew the Advanced sequence 9 times, and I did the Intermediate sequence 5 times. SO far, so good.

IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2090.JPG

Here is the pilot I made, out of foam, and my wife painted. Total weight is 1.5 ounces! Much lighter than the other pilot.

IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG