• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF 48" Laser EXP

working on putting the laser together tonight got a lot of it done so far (after a few planes these things go together so fast) All i have left is the aileron servos, esc install, drilling holes for the cowl screws, and setting up the plane. Decided to change things up from the original plane and put the SunnySky 800kv motor w/13x6.5 apc, ZTW 50amp, HS5065mg on the elevator, Align DS410m on all other surfaces

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Hey Steve (or anyone else it may apply to),

You built your Laser with a DM2820 under the cowl, didn't you? Did you use any of the spacers supplied with the kit? Although the DM2820 is a pretty stubby motor, it seems to fit fine without the spacer. Any reason why I would still use the spacers?

I didn't use the spacers, the cowl fits fine, yes there is a quite large overlap but it's not a problem. The laser tends to be a little nose heavy so adding spacers and moving the motor further forward will make that a bit worse. Only thing to watch with the cowl overlap is to give the inside of the cowl a light rub with sandpaper where it overlaps to prevent the rough glass finish scratching the front of the canopy hatch as it slides in. Also it's a goot idea to cover the front edge of the canopy hatch with a bit of spare clear vinyl from the sticker sheet.

njswede

150cc
The results are in for the DM2820/750 on a Xoar 14x6: 760W WOT. A little less than I had expected, but it's not overtaxing the motor, so I'll take it. Then again, the battery was charged last weekend and has been sitting since then, so if I top it up, I may be able to squeeze out a few more watts.

I would try an APC 14x7, but I'm almost certain that would draw too much current for my liking. I think I'll maiden it on the Xoar 14x6 and check how she feels!

EDIT: And by all accounts, 760W should be PLENTY for this model...

njswede

150cc
Then again... The 14x6 gives almost no ground clearence and since my fields are both pretty bumpy, it's asking for trouble. Has anyone flown it on a 14" prop?

njswede

150cc
Done! I went with a bit more understated design. (I.e. I got tired of stickers). But I like it!

[Hmmm... Really bad light. I'll have to take a better pic tomorrow...]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347680001553.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347680001553.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 244
  • uploadfromtaptalk1347680027190.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347680027190.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Done! I went with a bit more understated design. (I.e. I got tired of stickers). But I like it!

[Hmmm... Really bad light. I'll have to take a better pic tomorrow...]

Congrats, looks really good! Will you maiden tomorrow?

-G

njswede

150cc
Tomorrow or Sunday, depending on weather. Tomorrow looks a little bit breezy.

Any opinion on the 14" prop? It's REALLY close to the ground...

gyro

GSN Contributor
Tomorrow or Sunday, depending on weather. Tomorrow looks a little bit breezy.

Any opinion on the 14" prop? It's REALLY close to the ground...

You should be fine. I flew my laser with a 13, but flew the 14 on my MXS and Edge with no problems. I can't see the ground clearance being significantly larger for that EXP versus the others. You're not landing nose first (at least you shouldn't be) anyway, so you should be fine. that said, I probably broke a prop every 3 or 4th weekend anyway, but my field is rough, and I flew a lot of wood props with really can't handle any type of ground contact, whereas the APCs are a little more durable.

-G

Almost done even got the pilot mounted tonight. Just need to mount the cowl and install the prop

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347681992037.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347681992037.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 313