• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF 48" Laser EXP

njswede

150cc
The Firepower looks like a nice motor but I see a couple of potential issues.. First the cross mount looks like it may be larger diameter than the holes in the Laser mounting plate, and there is no room to re-drill and I don't think you would get the screws in if you went with a smaller cross mount (I could be wrong on this but it looks that way). Second 1000kv is a bit high if you are running 4s, it would mean a 10" prop which is not ideal for 3D. On 3s power would be a bit weak.

Are we looking at the same motor? I see 900kv and 630W on an 11x5.5. But the mounting holes may be a showstopper.

njswede

150cc
Just checked with HeadsUp and the hole spacing is 50mm, which I think will be way too much. Looks like too much trouble. Also the kv is a bit high even at 900... I think it's down to one of these:

Torque 2814/820 - The recommended motor, but only rated for 550W. Daddy wants too much power! (And where's the adventure in going for the recommended setup? :))
Omega 130g - I really like this one (at least on paper). Light and rated for 700W. It's the recommended choice for 3DHS planes in the 47-48" class. $59 is not too bad a price, either.
Motrolfly 2820/750 - I like the low kv and the fact that it's rated for 800W on a 4s. A bit expensive, but not as expensive at the Torque.

Any wisdom you folks like to share about those alternatives?

SnowDog

Just checked with HeadsUp and the hole spacing is 50mm, which I think will be way too much. Looks like too much trouble. Also the kv is a bit high even at 900... I think it's down to one of these:

Torque 2814/820 - The recommended motor, but only rated for 550W. Daddy wants too much power! (And where's the adventure in going for the recommended setup? :))
Omega 130g - I really like this one (at least on paper). Light and rated for 700W. It's the recommended choice for 3DHS planes in the 47-48" class. $59 is not too bad a price, either.
Motrolfly 2820/750 - I like the low kv and the fact that it's rated for 800W on a 4s. A bit expensive, but not as expensive at the Torque.

Any wisdom you folks like to share about those alternatives?

Go with the Motrofly...you will really like that motor! I've got a 4315, a 3615, a 2815, and a 2820. They are awesome.
You might try posting a "wanted" ad in the classifieds to see if anyone has one on the shelf they'd like to sell...

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I've got no hesitation in recommending the Motrolfly. The Torque is also a fine motor and is in no way lacking power but cant quite compete with the punch of the Motrolfly spinning a larger prop. I'm currently running a 13x7 Xoar on my DM-2820 750kv which gives excellent performance without overstressing the motor structurally, which can be the case if you use a 14" prop and fly very hard. The DM-3615 is also worth considering and copes with a 14" prop no problem, though I think the slight extra weight would make the Laser nose heavy, it's fine in the 48" Edge though.

If you go with the Motrolfly DM-2820 get at the least a 60A ESC..

What is everyone running for elevator servos in this plane? i have 4 hs5065's left over from the 48" extra and planned to use them on this, or is it like the MXS where it is better to run an HS85 on the elevator?

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Savox SH-0255 on the elevator of my Laser, no shortage of torque and pretty fast too, plus they fit the hole.