• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

EF 48" Laser EXP

gyro

GSN Contributor
Savox SH-0255 on the elevator of my Laser, no shortage of torque and pretty fast too, plus they fit the hole.

I know many have used them with plenty of success on their EXPs, however I did have two consecutive elevator servo failures in flight when I was using the SH-0255 in my 48" Edge. Personally, I'm not confident such a small geared servo can handle the long servo/arm geometry on the laser elevator.

-G

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Garry, I do remember your bad luck with your Savox servos. All i can say is I've got them all round on three 48-51" planes over hundreds of flights and they have yet to cause me any problem, so I'm happy with them. I'd not recommend using anything longer than the long arm that comes with the servo, it's long enough to get about 75 deg movement on the elevator, which I think is more than enough. Using longer arms than the servo is supplied with is asking for trouble IMHO because it puts greater leverage back into the gear train. I've no idea if you had longer arms installed, if not i can only put it down to bed luck.. or maybe I'm lucky:D

In any case the Savox are a lot stronger and faster than the Hitec 65MG which is EF's recommended servo for the Laser all round.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Garry, I do remember your bad luck with your Savox servos. All i can say is I've got them all round on three 48-51" planes over hundreds of flights and they have yet to cause me any problem, so I'm happy with them. I'd not recommend using anything longer than the long arm that comes with the servo, it's long enough to get about 75 deg movement on the elevator, which I think is more than enough. Using longer arms than the servo is supplied with is asking for trouble IMHO because it puts greater leverage back into the gear train. I've no idea if you had longer arms installed, if not i can only put it down to bed luck.. or maybe I'm lucky:D

In any case the Savox are a lot stronger and faster than the Hitec 65MG which is EF's recommended servo for the Laser all round.

I did use the longer g-10 arm supplied with the kit.

njswede

150cc
It's coming together nicely! So far this is the easiest build I've ever done. Everything fits perfectly, is well thought through and well documented. No unpleasant surprises so far. Everthing hinged and glued. Now I just need to deal with tail-wheel (which seems to be intelligently designed for a change), electrics, cowl and decals. Should be done tomorrow and ready for Saturday maiden! Wheee!

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Hey Steve (or anyone else it may apply to),

You built your Laser with a DM2820 under the cowl, didn't you? Did you use any of the spacers supplied with the kit? Although the DM2820 is a pretty stubby motor, it seems to fit fine without the spacer. Any reason why I would still use the spacers?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey Steve (or anyone else it may apply to),

You built your Laser with a DM2820 under the cowl, didn't you? Did you use any of the spacers supplied with the kit? Although the DM2820 is a pretty stubby motor, it seems to fit fine without the spacer. Any reason why I would still use the spacers?

When I built mine, I had one small spacer, otherwise the cowl overlapped the fuse too much.