• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

jymz

30cc
I need help. I have a new EF 104" with a DA 120 and KS cans. The engine runs fine on the ground but in the air it surges at mid throttle.
I'm using a 28x12 prop and it has the baffles that Ghoffman makes.

Any ideas?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I need help. I have a new EF 104" with a DA 120 and KS cans. The engine runs fine on the ground but in the air it surges at mid throttle.
I'm using a 28x12 prop and it has the baffles that Ghoffman makes.

Any ideas?
Slightly lean the low needle. Mine did the same and once it broke in it started doing it again.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Block the hole on the diaphragm cover from incoming air. Easily done by cutting a square piece of aluminum from a soda can and using 3 of the 4 screws from the cover to secure it to the carb and leave the screw out of the aluminum that is closest to the hole. You can also purchase a cover with a 90 on it from da or solder your own to deflect incoming air. I had to do that as I was seeing same issues when I had pro flows. Soda can is a quick 5 minute job to test it.

jymz

30cc
Ok I made something from a beer can. I'll try that too.

Does using regular gas vs hi octane make a difference? I'm using the gas I have already mixed from my other engine?

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Can't help ya on that one. I know people who run less than premium with no issues but I use 91 or 93 depending on whats available. Also I meant to say deflect air from the hole, don't completely block it...just wanted to clarify that. The cover has an upset on it that will keep the un screwed corner pushed out away from completely shutting off the hole while keeping incoming air from hitting it. I was told as well that a heavier loading prop will help which I think 28x12 should be enough. I was using a 29x10 which I didn't really like but the cans seemed to like. I didn't really keep that particular plane long enough though to play with more props. Kinda curious to see what you think of this plane on cans as I'm getting ready to put that set of pro flows on mine to be safe for nall next year...also I like the way they sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Can't help ya on that one. I know people who run less than premium with no issues but I use 91 or 93 depending on whats available. Also I meant to say deflect air from the hole, don't completely block it...just wanted to clarify that. The cover has an upset on it that will keep the un screwed corner pushed out away from completely shutting off the hole while keeping incoming air from hitting it. I was told as well that a heavier loading prop will help which I think 28x12 should be enough. I was using a 29x10 which I didn't really like but the cans seemed to like. I didn't really keep that particular plane long enough though to play with more props. Kinda curious to see what you think of this plane on cans as I'm getting ready to put that set of pro flows on mine to be safe for nall next year...also I like the way they sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been running the Pro Flows from day 1. 29 x 9 Falcon CF. It rips very easily. In this video you can hear it start to surge a bit. It was right at 7 gallons and pretty much broke in. It nothing more than a spoof vid. My flying is mediocre.
The second vid shows it will start in just 1 flip after you have the first start of the day on it.
At about 5:45 is where you can hear it hunt.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Ok I made something from a beer can. I'll try that too.

Does using regular gas vs hi octane make a difference? I'm using the gas I have already mixed from my other engine?

I have been running 87 ethanol pump w/ redline 32:1. Does great. Tried 93 and it ran hotter. Not more power. I live in the deep south though.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I run 92 octane in mine because I live in CA and somebody told me it doesn't contain ethanol like 89 and 87 do. That could be totally false but that's why I run 92. My DA120 seems to love it so I'll keep running it even if it does have ethanol.

Oh and ________ 40:1 :omg: