• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 104 Extra

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yeah, DA-120 all the way! It's just perfect for this airplane!

Regarding the hinges, it's really not a difficult process, but must be done correctly. Installing the robart-style pin-hinges is usually done with 30-min epoxy, but Gorilla glue works well also. When using Gorilla glue, you have to do everything at once and can not glue the hinges into one side at a time because the GG will expand and push the hinges out. Once the hinges are in and the control surface is attached to it's respective fixed surface, I always put about 3 wraps of masking tape around the entire wing and aileron (or other surface) to ensure that they are held together while the glue expands.

Regardless of the glue that I'm using, I always rough up the hinges with sandpaper to ensure a good bond, and put a touch of oil or silicone lubricant in the hinge knuckle to prevent getting glue inside the hinge itself.

When using epoxy, I simply stand the surface up so that the hinge holes are on the top and epoxy the hinges into one surface. I do not use a jig and just eye-ball everything. The two main points to remember are that when properly seated, the hinge pin (joint) will be right at the edge of or flush with the hinge-line, and when you deflect the hinge all the way over, the un-glued side will be perfectly perpendicular to the hinge-line.

To ensure the best bond, I always use a toothpick to coat the inside of each hole as well as the entire surface of the hinge "finger". Once both sides are generously coated, I slide the hinge into the hole, rotating it as I do. Once the hinge is seated, I go around the edges with a paper towel and alcohol to clean up any epoxy that has oozed out.

Once all the hinges have been epoxied into their holes, I set the surface down vertically, but up-side-down so that any extra glue will end up closer to the hinge knuckle rather than dripping into the wing/control surface. Don't worry about the hinges falling out. I just keep an eye on everything and check it every few minus until the epoxy has set up.

I hope this makes the process clear!

Man it's so nice to have experts like Daniel here helping us out! Great post as I learned a few tips /tricks that I can use on future builds just from reading.

wedoitall

Very clear Kind sir, thanks Daniel.

Now trying I need to figure on engines. My financial advisor (Renea )says the DA.

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2
My Channels:

4 aileron
2 rudder
2 elevator
1 throttle
1 ignition kill

10 total and I do all my programming and servo ganging in my transmitter.

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2
No problem!

Using a 14 channel receiver, so I have some open channels if I ever decide to add smoke or anything else.