• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Extreme Flight 78" Extra

hbollier

70cc twin V2
That's great news! No I just need to get my 93" laser in!
I've heard great things about them. Something about the look just gets me, though. Something about the shape of the cowl.

Looks good on you though, lol. I'd love to see your setup on it.

When you get it flying, one of us will have to do some driving.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
The Motrolfly 4330 / Castle Creations HV 80 is a known good combination but I'm having some issues to flesh out. I have a power surge once in the air. So far I've brought it back to the 3.27 firmware with no change. Next step is to re solder the bullets in the ESC. I questioned the quality of my joints when I soldered them. If that doesn't work, I'll pull the HV 80 off my other 4330 and try that one.

Next issue. The left aileron servo has an intermittent problem. It will move down with the sticks but not come back up. You can pull it up to center with your fingers before the servo starts fighting but you can push it right back down. Changed out the extensions still does it. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

hbollier

70cc twin V2
After removing and re-soldering the ESC connections, I still have the problem. I did notice one of the male bullets is a little loose when inserted into the females. I tried to expand the springs on the bullet with no luck. I think I'll try putting the 216kv on this plane with the 20x8 and see how it works on this ESC.

This is starting to get frustrating. I went electric to get away from all the motor hassle.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
Alkyl6, it has to be a wiring problem. There are too many known running combinations of this motor and ESC. I have another plane with the same combination that runs flawlessly. I thinking connections, but you don't really know until the problem stops.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
#hbollier though it may be really unlikely, I wouldn't rule out the speed controller until you test the theory. I have experienced in my 74" Edge and have read of many issues with the larger motors and Castle.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
I have the same combination on another plane. Only difference is the Kv on the motor and this one is lower so it should work together fine. There are also plenty folks using the same combo.

How is your plane coming along?

hbollier

70cc twin V2
I swapped out the connections on the motor leads to rule out a bad connection. Then I swapped out my receiver to rule that out. The power still cuts out. I called it a surge earlier, but it is more like an engine with a miss. I changed a few ESC settings to make it match the working combination. The logs show a definite problem. With a constant throttle position the power will cut and return but it never comes back all the way.

Firmware 3.27 (gives the best power measured on a watt meter)
End Points: Fixed
Throttle Response: Custom 10
Brake: Disabled
Cutoff: Disabled
Current Limiting: Disabled
Start Power: High
Motor Timing: Low

I will run it with these settings. If no change I will disable logging and try again. If this doesn't work it will be time to swap out ESCs. If that doesn't work then it is time to send the motor in. The only part in the system that I do not know the history on is the ESC which came from the classifieds. The motor has fresh windings from the vendor so it would surprise me if that were the problem.