• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight RC 91" Yak 54 build

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
sweet looking plane and great sounding power combo!

Thanks man! Should be a great plane! Now I think I have to get a trailer! My 50cc EF Extra 300 fit perfectly in my Expedition but I don't think this one will!

Good luck Dan I hope the servo gets to you in time!

3dbandit

100cc
On the lighter side -- since the da-60 standard muffler has a smoke nipple, shouldn't I be putting smoke in the yak? Is there a simple, inexpensive approach to doing this? Any ideas?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!smoke!!!!!! !!Woo Hoo!!!

I don't know if there is really an inexpensive approach to doing smoke. Just run a Sullivan Skywriter, I think it is about $100.

dribar

70cc twin V2
Something weird -- I just took the dogs out and thought to turn the transmitter and receiver on. The rudder is back to working. I sat there for five minutes left-right-left-right and it worked the whole time. What the heck? So, just thinking out loud here but:

- wouldn't you think if the servo was bad it would stay bad [pass / fail] or is it possible it can be hit or miss?

- is it possible I was getting some interference from the ignition as soon as the motor fired up? The linkage on the throttle is NOT metal to metal, but I am using a metal pushrod with plastic ends. Could that be the problem? This servo had been perfect until I was just about to roll out [motor running].

Perplexed in Sarasota

gyro

GSN Contributor
Something weird -- I just took the dogs out and thought to turn the transmitter and receiver on. The rudder is back to working. I sat there for five minutes left-right-left-right and it worked the whole time. What the heck? So, just thinking out loud here but:

- wouldn't you think if the servo was bad it would stay bad [pass / fail] or is it possible it can be hit or miss?

- is it possible I was getting some interference from the ignition as soon as the motor fired up? The linkage on the throttle is NOT metal to metal, but I am using a metal pushrod with plastic ends. Could that be the problem? This servo had been perfect until I was just about to roll out [motor running].

Perplexed in Sarasota

Things to check:

Was this plane a "new" plane, or did you modify an old one in your Tx?

Have you made sure there are no mixes? Could enabling your ignition on your radio be disabling your rudder in your Tx?

Have you checked the pins in the rx and the jr plug of the servo? Something could be loose and vibrating out of contact

Gremlins....

RKEstes

50cc
I use metal push rods and plastic ball links on all my gassers and never had a problem. Perhaps it is a connection as mentioned before that is bad and exacerbated by the vibration of the engine running. You will have to test it again with the engine running to know for sure. You really have to lean on those receiver connections to get them to fully seat.

Edit: Beat to the punch by Gyro! I also have had issues overwriting an old model in my transmitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

dribar

70cc twin V2
Great ideas -- I'll be tearing it apart when the new servo arrives so I'll check the pins then. Could easily be vibration. Regarding the radio, I used an old model but it only had one mix in it -- which was to spool up the throttle (to keep my electric running). I'll kill that mix tonight and look around.

And thanks RKEstes for the reflection on metal pushrods. I didn't think it was a problem but wanted make sure the whole story was being told.

Great thoughts.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great ideas -- I'll be tearing it apart when the new servo arrives so I'll check the pins then. Could easily be vibration. Regarding the radio, I used an old model but it only had one mix in it -- which was to spool up the throttle (to keep my electric running). I'll kill that mix tonight and look around.

And thanks RKEstes for the reflection on metal pushrods. I didn't think it was a problem but wanted make sure the whole story was being told.

Great thoughts.

Dan,

Highly recommend you delete the entire spot in the radio, and start over. Gotta eliminate all possibilities. This his helped me kill the gremlins in the past.

dribar

70cc twin V2
I'll start with a new model tonight....

One other thing that I may not have explained well -- when the rudder quit working it went dead. So the rest of the radio was working but you could grab the rudder and move it. Just like it was unplugged. It wasn't stuck in place, but dead.

Thanks all.

3dbandit

100cc
I'll start with a new model tonight....

One other thing that I may not have explained well -- when the rudder quit working it went dead. So the rest of the radio was working but you could grab the rudder and move it. Just like it was unplugged. It wasn't stuck in place, but dead.

Thanks all.

like I said before, it could be the servo plug.

If one of the pins was a little loose, the vibration could have reduced the contact of one of the pins.

It could also be a bad channel on the receiver that is effected by the engines vibration. Try plugging in to a different channel and see if it works then.

In regards to the possibility of interference: With modern 2.4 radio systems, I have never had or seen an interference issue. In the past I have gone so far as powering my ignition directly from a RX port without any filtering, and had zero interference issues. And if there was some interference issue, the servo should still be powered up by the RX, just not properly functioning.

Also: I would try what Gary said and wipe out the model and start fresh.