• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick.....sort of build thread.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Bdegan;3955 wrote: Funny you mention moving the wing tube back.

Kevin ' s original red one has the wing back 1 inch or so compared to ours.

He had to push his batteries was back to balance. So he moved the wing tube forward an inch.

That actually moves the CG more forward and increases the tail-heavy problem but I see what you mean with an engine AND pipes. It's a fine wire for sure on this plane. My batteries are by the fuel tank and after I add a little sheeting to the motor box it balances dead on. And BTW, I did the math and the CG as recommended in the manual is exactly 32% of MAC, but CG checked with wings on. I'm thinking moving it back and coring the rudder and stabs it would save ounces and probably be right where I am now.

Always fun to play with designs....always something to learn.

EDIT, sleep deprivation must have been catching up with me here because my logic is bass-ackwards. What I recommended was to have two tube locations on the plans, one for no coring of the tail section and one with the tail feathers cored out. I don't know much about cans or pipes but I would imagine that would fall somewhere between the two.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I added just a hair over 2 oz. on the engine box by sheeting the top with 1/32" plywood I had, and I installed two 3/8" x 3/8" maple braces on the back of the firewall as close to the engine bolts as possible. Now when you grab the prop and move it around it is very solid.

My batteries will be just in front of the wing tube and the balance is nearly perfect so I should be good. Today and tomorrow don't look great for maiden and rain in the forecast next 6 days!!! I will take it outside the shop and fire it up today and looks like we may get a window for maiden on Sat. Fingers crossed.

Terry,

Just caught up with this thread and went through all the pics and comments. This thread shows your typical excellence in craftsmanship and detail in just about everything you do. It's great to see how many of the little touches you do add up into a masterful project. The kit design looks very well thought through and is engineered in very smart ways. The speed at which you've done this build is unmatched! I look forward to hearing about your maiden!

Dean

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I tried for maiden tonight..... Rain cleared, wind was barely there so I went to the field instead of test running at my shop. Turns out I think I have a funky carb. High end fades out and low runs great. Tried voltage, ibec is good, fuel is good, tried all the way to 2.5 turns out with same result. Going to check carb and try a spare ignition. I have a new carb from a da120 on the shelf too.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Problem solved!! I figured it would be about 1% reeds, 19% ignition and the way it was acting my money was on crappy carb. Checked carb, took apart, nothing fishy. I had a brand new never seen gas carb for a V3 DLE111 in a bag, and it was a direct bolt on. I put that on, hooked everything up and it fired on fourth flip and runs WAY more smooth, superb transition and super high end with 29x9 Falcon.

So, tomorrow I'll bolt everything back together and get it ready for next break in the crappy weather.....looking like Saturday right now.