• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 18MZ/14SG/8FG Tips and Tricks

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yeah I just reread what you posted, this is where you have it wrong. Don't assign channel 8 and 9 to aileron stick (just the control on your radio) but rather assign it to aileron 1 and aileron 2.
Then all your mixes, differentials and rates will apply to all 4 servos.
Took an easy couple of minutes!
Thanks!
I was used to matching servos via Smarfly EQ6 prior to this...

usuallyI put them in order and change the function around. Channel 1 throttle, 2 and 3 elevator, 4 and 5 as rudder, 6 and 7 as aileron, and 8 and 9 as aileron 2. Also I do not like to use the subtrim on ailerons to get neutral but rather get the arm as close to neutral then adjust the linkage length. Also for the rates I use the flight mode function vs dual rates. Allows for more options for setup and mixing the plane.

usuallyI put them in order and change the function around. Channel 1 throttle, 2 and 3 elevator, 4 and 5 as rudder, 6 and 7 as aileron, and 8 and 9 as aileron 2. Also I do not like to use the subtrim on ailerons to get neutral but rather get the arm as close to neutral then adjust the linkage length. Also for the rates I use the flight mode function vs dual rates. Allows for more options for setup and mixing the plane.

Yep, that is the most common error that folks do when coming from other radio brands! The CONDITION mode of thinking allows one to use the power of the 18MZ such as logic to turn things on/off with stick position, change surface rates separately plus other things that I can't think of now. But that is the point - if you want to do something to want to do there is a way to do it!! Great setup!!

For me CONDITION thinking was the hardest part of learning 18 MZ programming.

Yes you can also change the mixing as needed particularly knife edge for high alpha 3d. I like using stick logic for snaps and stall turns in pattern.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Version 5.0 update for the 14SG too. Now for the really important stuff....Need some help with this 14SG telemetry! I can not get it to display the receiver voltage? Just says 0.0 after I set it on active. Followed the manual even for the first time ever with a Futaba Radio. Got to be something really simple and embarrassing so some one hit me.....PLEASE!

Last edited: