• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Explain Like your 4? I know your more capable than that! I myself would sand it with something fine like 600 or 800 grit and just paint over the top, as long as you do not sand completely through anyplace. This way you do not have a ton of build up!
I'm intimidated by anything that requires an artistic touch so I need the dummied down version. Plus I've never done any kind of body repairs on anything that I wanted to look pretty when I'm done.

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'll learn as I go. This whole project is basically so I can get more comfortable with the process so that I'll be able to actually build a kit from start to finish and do the stuff on my own without it looking like my nephew did it :)

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I have repaired / painted just portions of ARF cowls before, and I will be curious to see what the pros say about my process:

- Wash the cowl to get rid of any and all dirt, bugs etc. I use wax and grease remover and do it multiple times (test the wax and grease remover first!!!!) Some ARF paints are so cheap that even rubbing alcohol takes it off!!!
- Mask with fineline and masking tape up to the edge where you want to sand and re-paint.
- Sand as per Tylers recommendations, just to scuff the surface.
- Remove the masking that was likely damaged during sanding.
- Wash the sanded area with wax and grease remover.
- Re-mask the area and shoot your basecoat color as per directions
- Remove masking and clear the entire cowl.
Yep what he said. If you used a single stage, or even just a bomb can, you wouldn't have to clear the whole cowl. It's just nicer and there will be less of a paint edge

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Yep what he said. If you used a single stage, or even just a bomb can, you wouldn't have to clear the whole cowl. It's just nicer and there will be less of a paint edge

Yeah I'm gonna bug some guys at the field and see if they'll help me out and put the paint on since I don't have any of the equipment...if not I'll see if I can get a rattle can...if all else fails I can always redo it differently.

tylerzx9r

100cc
I have repaired / painted just portions of ARF cowls before, and I will be curious to see what the pros say about my process:

- Wash the cowl to get rid of any and all dirt, bugs etc. I use wax and grease remover and do it multiple times (test the wax and grease remover first!!!!) Some ARF paints are so cheap that even rubbing alcohol takes it off!!!
- Mask with fineline and masking tape up to the edge where you want to sand and re-paint.
- Sand as per Tylers recommendations, just to scuff the surface.
- Remove the masking that was likely damaged during sanding.
- Wash the sanded area with wax and grease remover.
- Re-mask the area and shoot your basecoat color as per directions
- Remove masking and clear the entire cowl.
Diddo! Nice job explaining Terry.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
Yeah I'm gonna bug some guys at the field and see if they'll help me out and put the paint on since I don't have any of the equipment...if not I'll see if I can get a rattle can...if all else fails I can always redo it differently.
If you are recovering the whole plane and you use ultracote, I found a red bomb can that matches extremely well.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I'm using deep red. I see they used to make some ultracote paint but don't any more. Is Radiosouth paint any good? I wanna say I heard they make rattle cans to match ultracote.

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
I'm using deep red. I see they used to make some ultracote paint but don't any more. Is Radiosouth paint any good? I wanna say I heard they make rattle cans to match ultracote.
This matches true red

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 271

Dooinit

70cc twin V2
But I see you are using deep red. Orthobird used a company that matches covering colors. You could message him