• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Second coat of Z-Poxy Finishing resin applied today on the fuselage. I weighed all the resin as I mixed it, then weighed what was left in each cup and the total weight of the resin applied was 28 grams or 0.98 ounces. A lot of that will get sanded off.

The second coat comes out pretty shinny no matter how much you squeegee off.

20150613_153025_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20150613_153042_resized.jpg
    20150613_153042_resized.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 20150613_153112_resized.jpg
    20150613_153112_resized.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 215

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I finished sanding the second coat of resin on the fuselage last night and weighed it again.

Before glass 62.37 ounces
After sanding 1st coat of resin 65.65 ounces
After second coat of resin 66.55 ounces
After sanding 2nd coat of resin 65.92 ounces

So the weight gain from the .5 ounce glass cloth and two coats of resin after sanding was 3.55 ounces.

When I first started making and weighing test panels a few months ago I thought the tiny weight gain for the second coat of resin was a fluke on the small panels. Obviously it's not if the fuselage only gained 0.27 ounces with the second coat after sanding.

I'm going to primer the fuselage this weekend if I can.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you really want to paint it. I have always ended up painting it. But I am always tempted to leave it just like that it really looks good and it also shows the workmanship of the planking. Look up a plane called a Rily B. This plane has the front section left and not painted it really looks good. The first time I saw the plane was at JoeNall. Look it up it is a good looking plane. By the way your looks fantastic. Also nice to see something out of the ordinary.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Do you really want to paint it. I have always ended up painting it. But I am always tempted to leave it just like that it really looks good and it also shows the workmanship of the planking. Look up a plane called a Rily B. This plane has the front section left and not painted it really looks good. The first time I saw the plane was at JoeNall. Look it up it is a good looking plane. By the way your looks fantastic. Also nice to see something out of the ordinary.

Too late, I primed the fuse today.

20150620_162641_resized.jpg
20150620_165414_resized.jpg

If I remember right, there was a plane built by DSP, a Carden maybe, that had some areas with clear monokote to show the workmanship. Looked really good.