• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

HazzBro's EEv2 / VVRC 40cc twin

At first, laying out formers I thought I was missing a few pieces. The kit designer said to cut them from the 1/4x1x36 stock that makes up most of the fuse, but there's plenty of leftover 1/4 sheet once the cut parts are removed... After the build, I'll have to get out my trusty balsa stripper and cut a bunch of 1/4 sticks for the supply drawer!
1.jpg
I was also thinking I had 2 extra cut pieces that didn't quite fit in the tail correctly. Turns out they're the chin pieces that I won't be needing with this twin installation anyway.
2.jpg
-Case

I also noticed I glued the laminated pieces with the wire channel to the top side instead of the middle. It still makes a nice channel once sheeted, but doesn't line up with the cutouts in the formers... Easy fix.
3.jpg
-Case

Finally figured out what I want to do with the chin. Since I'm a few oz heavy on the nose already, I decided to end the tubes and motor mount blocks at the firewall where I'm going to bolt up the engine anyway... Everything above, below or forward of the engine is just cosmetic anyway, right?
4.jpg
-Case

It's been a busy week here with holidays approaching (and my builds are easily stalled!....Squirrel...)

I've got the chin-section framed out, and should be able to finish up the fuse later today.

- Case

I had to step away from the workbench to take a phone call and noticed folks were looking at this thread… I've got to say this is one of the quickest and most enjoyable profile kit builds I've done.

- An absolutely HUGE portion of the stick work is CNC cut, there's very little stick cutting - which is what seems to slow me down.
- The designer obviously put a lot of thought into the little things - for example, I just cut a piece of 1/4"x1" into pieces that create a stringer between the vertical formers, and the 36" stick was exactly the right length, even accounting for saw kerf. I hate measuring and cutting gussets, but all of the gusset work in the fuse is accomplished with 1" pieces of tri-stock…
- My cut/fit/sand skills are still developing, so I usually have to use a lot of medium or thick CA when framing. All of these CNC pieces are so perfectly cut and designed that every glue joint is a perfect snug fit. A guy could easily dry-fit most everything, then just wick in some thin and be done. Oh, now that I've typed it…that's exactly what I'm doing. The thing goes together like a 3D jigsaw puzzle, and is even nearly self-squaring!

I'll have the fuse finished up within the hour, and I'll be sure to take a few pics to illustrate these points…

-Case

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
your thread is motivating me to build! I have a balsa prop jet I may finally get to. I might have to do another 3d profile, even if its a smaller one. I am pretty much snowed in! Ok it is not that bad, but it has limited the outdoor flying as of today.

As promised, here's the pics of yesterday's progress… The fuse is actually complete, I just didn't get a pic. I'll chisel it all up from the board in the morning and start in on wings…

-Case
file.php

file.php

file.php