• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How many years have you been in the hobby?

How long have you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Been in it since 1994... Started when i was 13.. I am now 31 this year.. of course I stopped in the teenage years when I picked up the guitar and met girls.. LOL.. Came back in 2002.. Been hard at it ever since!

...and he's now peddlin' the best products on the net!

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
My advice: listen to the veterans even if they are younger than you and get a sim.

I was a trainer back in the 2000's while I was in high school. No one wanted me to train them because I was half or more of their age and had the mentality "he's just a kid, what does he know."

I'm fortunate I grew up in the hobby, dad started in the 70's before I came along. Lots of Saturdays and Friday evenings at the field flying together. I officially soloed around age 10 or 12, we changed fields just at the time I soloed so I don't remember exactly how old I was. I learned a lot from watch and helping Dad build, crash, repair, and it didn't take long for my flying to be more solid than his.

Last edited by a moderator:

willfly2

30cc
My advice: listen to the veterans even if they are younger than you and get a sim.

I was a trainer back in the 2000's while I was in high school. No one wanted me to train them because I was half or more of their age and had the mentality "he's just a kid, what does he know."

I'm fortunate I grew up in the hobby, dad started in the 70's before I came along. Lots of Saturdays and Friday evenings at the field flying together. I officially soloed around age 10 or 12, we changed fields just at the time I soloed so I don't remember exactly how old I was. I learned a lot from watch and helping Dad build, crash, repair, and it didn't take long for my flying to be more solid than his.

I'm with you on this rcdude07. Had a friend who was 25+ my senior who showed me how to build and fly. He earned his heavenly wings a few year's ago. I miss his old-school way's, but my son has showered me with so many new age things and has pushed me to try heli and 3D and showed me new thing's in building. I have also learned so much from the member's of 3Dforum's. You are right learn from anyone and everyone.

I Have been into this hobby for 5 years. I started when I was a little innocent pee wee, I was 8. I stopped for a half a season to do baseball, but never really liked anything else more than flying :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been in this hobby for just shy of 5 years now. I had wanted to get into it for a long time but wouldn't ever drop the cash to start. Then my wife bought me a Nexstar glow trainer with an OS 46 in it for christmas in '07. I've had the RC sickness ever since then, but only caught the 3d bug in the last year or so. She now says she wishes she had never bought that first plane. :peace:

Hmm... Been flying on my own for 10 years or so. Im 24 now. best thing Iv learned...... Take your time repair or build, don't cut corners. A quick fix at the field and your thinking it may hold, 9 times out of 10, it doesn't.

I've come up on about 10 years now.

My advice after this long? Always keep it fun. This is a hobby to enjoy, learn and grow friendships with. If it's not fun for you, stop doing it or find a way to make it fun! :D

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have been flying for almost 3.5 years now. I started into 3d about a year later with an old beat on 3dhs 47 edge. It has been all fun since then. I love it cuz there is always something fun to look forward to :D