• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

NEW Twisted Hobbys 39" Crack Yak WOW

AKfreak

150cc
That motor didn't Poof come off, that was a high speed smash and bang?, Wow, I have never ripped one up like that. I guess I am not flying hard enough! :)

JTI

30cc
No honestly,,,, I was about 50 feet up flying in a straight line away to my left , I gave a little elevator and rudder to turn back and it just came loose.
I still had controls because the battery was still connected and brought it down easy. The motor still connected to the ESC hanging from the plane.
Now that it's opened up I'll add some blenderm tape to help reinforce the hold.

AKfreak

150cc
No honestly,,,, I was about 50 feet up flying in a straight line away to my left , I gave a little elevator and rudder to turn back and it just came loose.
I still had controls because the battery was still connected and brought it down easy. The motor still connected to the ESC hanging from the plane.
Now that it's opened up I'll add some blenderm tape to help reinforce the hold.

WOW, I would of never expected that to happen. I mean I flew one of these last weekend, and I ran the snot out of it. The thing held together like a tank. Has your plane been subject to any sort of prior damage? To me, that damage doesn't look like the motor just fell off (but I believe you), it looks more like it was ripped off. The foam these planes are made of is super strong. A simple turn as you described, I would think it to be impossible to cause damage like that. I could see if the wooden cross came loose from the foam at the attach point, but the damage appears to be ripped completely off deep into the fuse.

JTI, I have seen you before on several other forums. I know 100%, that you know exactly what you are doing. You an an old pro with foamiies. This is just a head stomper for me. I have never seen this happen as you describe before. I hope you get it fixed up, and that never happens again. AKf

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I am enjoying this plane [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION]. I have not had much flying time in the past month or so, but most of what I have had has been on this bird. I have about 20 or so flights on it so far and I'm still trying to dial it in. I am having a little trouble with trim. The nose drops really fast when inverted. I have tried moving the CG back. The pack is as far back as I can get it without moving the ESC or making a power lead extension. It flies pretty good upright and it does 3d pretty well but I am getting frustrated with the nose dive when I roll it inverted.

I am wondering if it could be from the cantilever. Thoughts?

AKfreak

150cc
I don't know for sure, you just have to play with it making changes and taking note. I don't think the cantilever would cause that but removing it is easily done. The only hands off truly neutral foamie I own is my crack laser and upright and inverted, it will fly straight and level.

Hi, guys. First post here. Before I get to the point of my post, let me give a big shout out to a couple folks. First shout out goes to @3DNater for introducing me to this great site, but more importantly, getting me interested in planes. You see, I'm just coming over to the "dark side" after a few years in helis (which I still love, BTW). I met Nate a few months ago when he joined the firm I've worked at for many years, and we started working on the same projects. He's been secretly out to convert me ever since. ;) Anyway, the timing was right because I had been thinking about diving into the "dark side" anyway. A couple weeks ago, Nate helped me procure an unbuilt Pilot RC Yak 54 87" (30%) from a good friend of his. I'm not sure if this friend of Nate's is on this board, so I won't mention him by name, but he is a long-time RC veteran, and he has graciously agreed to build the Yak for me. And of course, he and Nate will be by my side when she takes to the skies for the first time. ;)

Anyway, since I have a "big Yak" on the way, I figured it needed a little brother, and with some more guidance from Nate, I decided a 39" Crack Yak was the perfect answer. And that's where my second shout-out comes in, and that goes to @AKFreak for his unbelievably awesome EPP build vids. :clap:

Hands down, I would never had have the courage (or know-how) to attempt one of these builds without following his build logs and watching all his build vids (multiple times, I might add). I ordered the gray version with the power combo (along with some bling that I couldn't resist--aluminum motor mount and carbon fiber upgrade kit). I also picked up some Foam Tac from the LHS.

The kit arrived this afternoon (after a week-and-a-half long horse and carriage ride courtesy of UPS), so the build has officially begun. Not a whole lot of progress tonight, but I did get the wing spars installed. And even after watching [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION]'s build vids many times, I *still* managed to cut too deep for the carbon spars. So I ended up using the Foam Tac very liberally when laying the spars--I hope that stuff is strong.

Here is a pic of my modest progress.

Barry

image1.jpg

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hi, guys. First post here. Before I get to the point of my post, let me give a big shout out to a couple folks. First shout out goes to @3DNater for introducing me to this great site, but more importantly, getting me interested in planes. You see, I'm just coming over to the "dark side" after a few years in helis (which I still love, BTW). I met Nate a few months ago when he joined the firm I've worked at for many years, and we started working on the same projects. He's been secretly out to convert me ever since. ;) Anyway, the timing was right because I had been thinking about diving into the "dark side" anyway. A couple weeks ago, Nate helped me procure an unbuilt Pilot RC Yak 54 87" (30%) from a good friend of his. I'm not sure if this friend of Nate's is on this board, so I won't mention him by name, but he is a long-time RC veteran, and he has graciously agreed to build the Yak for me. And of course, he and Nate will be by my side when she takes to the skies for the first time. ;)

Anyway, since I have a "big Yak" on the way, I figured it needed a little brother, and with some more guidance from Nate, I decided a 39" Crack Yak was the perfect answer. And that's where my second shout-out comes in, and that goes to @AKFreak for his unbelievably awesome EPP build vids. :clap:

Hands down, I would never had have the courage (or know-how) to attempt one of these builds without following his build logs and watching all his build vids (multiple times, I might add). I ordered the gray version with the power combo (along with some bling that I couldn't resist--aluminum motor mount and carbon fiber upgrade kit). I also picked up some Foam Tac from the LHS.

The kit arrived this afternoon (after a week-and-a-half long horse and carriage ride courtesy of UPS), so the build has officially begun. Not a whole lot of progress tonight, but I did get the wing spars installed. And even after watching [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION]'s build vids many times, I *still* managed to cut too deep for the carbon spars. So I ended up using the Foam Tac very liberally when laying the spars--I hope that stuff is strong.

Barry

image1.jpg

Welcome Barry, glad to have you with us.

Sounds like you've met Brig? :)

You've got some great mentors out there in LV, take advantage!

AKfreak

150cc

Barry

image1.jpg

Barry, welcome to 3D flying, your going to love it. Thanks for the kind words, and dont worry about going too deep that Foam-Tac will be super strong. If you have questions that aren't answered in the vids, or the thread, send me a PM and Ill give you my number we will talk your way through it. Cant wait to meet you, Sunday is my big flying day. I am at Bennett Field from Dawn to Dusk most of the time. Good Luck, AKf