• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU 30% Sukhoi SU-26

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I just have to share this. Joe is a friend of mine and in all fairness I hear that he has moved on from 3DHS to Redwing. Somewhere in between there he bought and flew one of these Sukhois. I watched this at least 5 times. LOL. Hes just great at showing off. I mean that in a good way. Nice going Joe.

That's freaking crazy.

Tseres

150cc
I ordered some Savox Servos from my buddy Brian Emeson. 1283 for the flying Surfs and a 1257 for the throttle. While these servos are overkill on this plane, I like to have the same equipment in all my planes. I can use these servos in a 35% or a 42% plane also.

I'm in a spot where I have to stop on the Camel till I get the tube sockets in so I thought I would get the Sukhoi out of the box in the next couple of days. I could use a change of pace. Its also very hard to leave a new plane in the box for an extended period of time. I sold some planes at the swap meet so now I have room on the pegs. I could at least look at it all Winter while its on the pegs.:yesss:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Good choice on servos, I've got those in nearly all my 35% planes and will be using that same setup in an 88" Edge later this Winter.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I actually used MPI horns because I had them and they are plenty strong for a plane this size. 1.5" works just fine, I'm getting 50 degrees on elevators and more than enough on ailerons. I did lengthen the slot just slightly to be able to get the travel out close to 150 on my transmitter though.

Tseres

150cc
Its back on the building table. I'll have some time this afternoon to start on the Hinging. DSC_0108.JPG

Tseres

150cc
Got the first four steps done. Shrink the monocote. I have to say that this is the best covering job I've ever seen on an ARF. There are a few bubbles but all the seams are tight and there are a million stripes on this plane. They were all stuck down real nice.
Then I made up some masking tape to protect the covering around the hinge holes from the glue.Learned that from Terryscustom and it works great.
Put all the masking tape in place.
Glued in all the hinge points with epoxy on one side only. I learned this the hard way. I used to use gorilla glue on both sides and taped them in place overnight. I got away with it a couple of times but it only takes one time for the glue to push the pins out of place and you learn fast. I'm going to wait for the epoxy to set up then I will use gorilla glue on the other end of the hinges.

Side note. There are 4 hinges that are shorter on one end. These go on the inside of the stabs. 2 each. These holes aren't deep enough because they are blocked by the Stab Tube Socket.

One thing that I like about PAU planes. They have all the hardware separated and marked in English. Yeah. I switched the flat washers out with some Bonded washers to mount the stab... We all have our preferences and I found that I like the bonded washers the best.

DSC_0109.JPGDSC_0110.JPGDSC_0111.JPGDSC_0112.JPGDSC_0113.JPGDSC_0114.JPGDSC_0115.JPGDSC_0116.JPGDSC_0117.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Masking tape stuck to wax paper.......why didn't I think of that! Makes it a lot easier when the paper punch is not sticking to the tape I bet. Way to improve an an idea Tom!

Tseres

150cc
Masking tape stuck to wax paper.......why didn't I think of that! Makes it a lot easier when the paper punch is not sticking to the tape I bet. Way to improve an an idea Tom!

You just said you punched holes with a hand punch. I never thought you didn't use any backing. The wax paper sticks to the tape pretty good but will peal of with a gentle pull. My notebook paper punch is also a compromise to your idea. Cause that's what I had handy.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I like that idea too: will do on my next assembly!
Right now, I am focusing on the upcoming container though: I moved delivery to forward to Tuesday when I am more confident that I will have help forunloading.
Then I have to put the hardware in the boxes, and start shipping...