• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Owners Thread

Bipeguy03

150cc
Maybe we can move the PAU event to Ohio!!!!!! Herve, you can stay at my place, I got plenty of room or stay in the RV if its at a field not near my home.

2nd that one!!!!!!!! I've got a full scale Airport just 19 miles east of I-75, we could shut it down for a weekend and huck it up!! lol

fencelake

70cc twin V2
I was wondering, do all the hardcore 3D guys just use the out of the box assembly (nylon wing bolts, etc.) for their planes or do they use metal bolts? maybe add cotter pins to the anti rotation dowels? Anything like that? I guess I'm curious about any mods made to the airframe or parts?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nothing wrong with stock nylon wing bolts, there is relatively little stress at those points. Metal bolts only with with the right type of rubber bushing, like the ones from Aztec Aero work pretty well. Metal bolts in a metal blind nut are likely to come loose with minimal vibration because the bolt is seated against wood (not a good combo).

I use glass filled nylon bolts from McMasters. They are nylon that is infused with fiberglass and the teeth on them are sharp like a metal bolt. They bite well and the hex head seems to be the only draw back as it wears out before the threads show any wear. Using a hex driver without a ball tip seems to make them last much longer. http://www.mcmaster.com/#91221a975/=wgoug9

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I was wondering, do all the hardcore 3D guys just use the out of the box assembly (nylon wing bolts, etc.) for their planes or do they use metal bolts? maybe add cotter pins to the anti rotation dowels? Anything like that? I guess I'm curious about any mods made to the airframe or parts?
The few times I replaced the original nylon bolts, I used items from the plumbing department of the local hardware store:
- Nylon all thread (cut to length
- wing buts- glued to the all thread.

In some applications, the wings of the wing nut are a little too big, and I trimmed them down. This avoid he need for any tool to tighten them.

In most planes, we still use the original bolts- that includes Gaby flying pretty hard 3D.
I also keep a roll of plumber's Teflon tape in my field box: this comes in handy if a wing bolt gets semi-stripped at the field- this carries me over until I get a new bolt.