• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
video capture:

video capture_01.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
So I'm not hating up on your setup but this comment has been bugging me. You actually like your planes set up that tail heavy?

This plane, probably, yes. I am an IMAC and Freestyle guy, I might be better at IMAC, actually. In the past I have typically had all my planes closer to an IMAC setup than a Freestyle setup. Neutral at best, slightly nose heavy more likely. I went pull/pull rudder for that reason. And, ended up with one servo per elevator half. So, you can see I was not shooting for tailheavy. I like pilots in my planes. So, I was hoping I'd come out slightly nose heavy with this setup (it seemed I would be nose heavy after reading Spat's comments). Then I could add a pilot for some tailweight. I knew this was going to be a "fun" plane and not an IMAC plane, but I hoped to end up neutral on the CG (and I could move the batteries into the motorbox). But, it's tailheavy. However, it's floaty so it can handle it. It's not at all hard to fly, to the contrary, and it sure does help with the poptops! I never saw, in any video I've watched, a 122" plane spin like this one does! :) I think I could get away with more tail weight if I really wanted to get crazy. But, I like to "fly" my plane, too. And, already knife edge (and some other flying) is a bit unpredictable. Which is why you see me doing so much knife edge in the video... I'm trying to get comfortable with it in knife edge. The H9 Suk is a rock in knife edge. But, it won't poptop like this will! haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
Okay guys... this motor is still not broken in and already it has ripped the following 3 props:

32-10 Mejzlik
31-12 Falcon
32-11w Falcon

What should I get to calm this engine down?

A 32-12? I'm not even sure that will do it...

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool, just checking. Really sucks it came out that tail heavy when you were shooting for something different. At least with that size plane you can get away with it with all the wing loading. I know I like to have my planes just a tickle nose heavy from neutral and I get a good mix of 3D and clean IMAC style flight.

I know what you are saying about pop-tops, Spats let me fly his once last year and even going into them slow it just whips around!! That and crank shafts were a blast. I'm curious what the tail span of this plane is, the plane I'm working on now I have a taller fuse for side area, but I kept the rudder short and deep to try to get crazy spins and pop tops.