• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
Cool, just checking. Really sucks it came out that tail heavy when you were shooting for something different. At least with that size plane you can get away with it with all the wing loading. I know I like to have my planes just a tickle nose heavy from neutral and I get a good mix of 3D and clean IMAC style flight.

Agreed, I have always shot for the same.

I know what you are saying about pop-tops, Spats let me fly his once last year and even going into them slow it just whips around!!

Which brings up the question, would this plane be tailheavy or noseheavy to Spats?

Spats

100cc
This plane, probably, yes. I am an IMAC and Freestyle guy, I might be better at IMAC, actually. In the past I have typically had all my planes closer to an IMAC setup than a Freestyle setup. Neutral at best, slightly nose heavy more likely. I went pull/pull rudder for that reason. And, ended up with one servo per elevator half. So, you can see I was not shooting for tailheavy. I like pilots in my planes. So, I was hoping I'd come out slightly nose heavy with this setup (it seemed I would be nose heavy after reading Spat's comments). Then I could add a pilot for some tailweight. I knew this was going to be a "fun" plane and not an IMAC plane, but I hoped to end up neutral on the CG (and I could move the batteries into the motorbox). But, it's tailheavy. However, it's floaty so it can handle it. It's not at all hard to fly, to the contrary, and it sure does help with the poptops! I never saw, in any video I've watched, a 122" plane spin like this one does! :) I think I could get away with more tail weight if I really wanted to get crazy. But, I like to "fly" my plane, too. And, already knife edge (and some other flying) is a bit unpredictable. Which is why you see me doing so much knife edge in the video... I'm trying to get comfortable with it in knife edge. The H9 Suk is a rock in knife edge. But, it won't poptop like this will! haha

I am so amazed it came out tail heavy. I think I have built 8 of this model and ALL ended nose heavy and we had to add weight to the tail. Almost makes me want to build another one and see if it will come out tail heavy LOL.
I also have some mixing for KE and it took a while to dial it in on both ailerons and elevators.

Spats

100cc
I love watching guys with your skills. Makes me want to get better with mine. Some day we will have to get together and fly. I think we are close enough:dancing-chicken:

Joe Hunt

150cc
I am so amazed it came out tail heavy. I think I have built 8 of this model and ALL ended nose heavy and we had to add weight to the tail. Almost makes me want to build another one and see if it will come out tail heavy LOL.
I also have some mixing for KE and it took a while to dial it in on both ailerons and elevators.

Did yours have all this X bracing up and down the fuse? I'm so glad it is there now that I am flying it, but I was wishing I had tiny hands and long thin flexible arms when I was putting gear in there! I was cursing Tony, haha, but now I'm happy for all that bracing. I did chop some wood out of the way to get my hands in there to put on the wing bolts, I may chop some more, you can't stop me! haha

Joe Hunt

150cc
I love watching guys with your skills. Makes me want to get better with mine. Some day we will have to get together and fly. I think we are close enough:dancing-chicken:

I tell Tavis all the time... I can't believe me and Randy have not starting flying together yet! But, really, I've been assembling planes since I came back. :O Time to get out and fly! We can get better together! I'm hoping to get a lot better! Just need to fly more and assemble less! :yesss:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Trying to get my 104 just a tad nose heavy too. And slow it down. The acceleration these DA's are getting is insane. My 120 is now well broke in and going to put a Mejzlik 30x10 to tame it a bit and get it to slow down on landing. I know it is not a Pilot extra but none the less I'm having the same issue slightly tail heavy. Go inverted harrier and the nose comes up and back over. Good thing is when I made it too nose heavy I saw the lateral balance needed addressing too!:face-palm: ( my bad for not checking) Now my 30% Pilot edge is pretty much neutral and pop tops, crankshafts, spins come a lot easier.

BTW.....Bringing that water fall to the deck was sweet.....I got to grow a pair and get there lol.

Spats

100cc
Did yours have all this X bracing up and down the fuse? I'm so glad it is there now that I am flying it, but I was wishing I had tiny hands and long thin flexible arms when I was putting gear in there! I was cursing Tony, haha, but now I'm happy for all that bracing. I did chop some wood out of the way to get my hands in there to put on the wing bolts, I may chop some more, you can't stop me! haha

Oh yes but I use a cardboard tube glued in and run my wires down the side.