• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Pilot RC 35% (106") Extra 260

gyro

GSN Contributor
Did you run it yet Gary ? I was just looking up the weight difference from my 100L to your 111 and its adding about 8 ounces to the nose with that motor. I'm curious if you balanced it yet ???

No, haven't run it yet. Heading to Austin tonight to drop off my 70" Velox... but hope to turn her on this weekend. Can we start it in your driveway?

-G

nebwake

70cc twin V2
I know I'm going to get hated on for this, but I don't use ANYTHING on my ignition except a fail safe switch and 4.8 battery. Every battery eliminator, ignition kill switch that Ive used has failed on me or given my weird engine issues. So, I just use my fail safe in my radio to completely close the throttle on signal loss and also use a switch to close throttle when I want to shut off engine. To many times sitting on my a$$ at the field troubleshooting a weird issue that tuned out to be those electronics, never again.

On my 50cc plane I run a choke servo and no smartfly. I use the choke to kill it and also have fail safe set to kill the choke. I do run a smartfly on my 40% pilot though.

gyro

GSN Contributor
On my 50cc plane I run a choke servo and no smartfly. I use the choke to kill it and also have fail safe set to kill the choke. I do run a smartfly on my 40% pilot though.

so how is a smart fly opto kill different in functionality than an IBEF opto kill?

so how is a smart fly opto kill different in functionality than an IBEF opto kill?

Big difference between the two. I've run both. The opto is a switch to connect a battery you have dedicated for the ignition. The IBEF eliminates the need for battery by powering ignition through receiver. It's the opto's that have failed in my case. I have 3 IBEFs all working without a hitch so far for many flights. The IBEF I use is the Tech-Aero...same as Syssa. Don't have any experience with the TBM Wike IBEF.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Big difference between the two. I've run both. The opto is a switch to connect a battery you have dedicated for the ignition. The IBEF eliminates the need for battery by powering ignition through receiver. It's the opto's that have failed in my case. I have 3 IBEFs all working without a hitch so far for many flights. The IBEF I use is the Tech-Aero...same as Syssa. Don't have any experience with the TBM Wike IBEF.

It sounds like they still "kill" the motor in the same way, optically removing ignition power. I'll use the nib IBEF I have, no compelling reason not to at this point.

I've got the TBN Wike IBEF in the 89" Slick, and the Tech-Aero (Syssa) will be going into the 106".
I suppose now my only question will be how many flights will I get on two 2s2200 packs, with 5 HV servos, the ignition, and a smoke pump?

And yes, I got a sweet deal on a gently used Sullivan Skywriter today! (Thanks Chad)

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc

Wait a minute here! I'm a complete noob when it comes to gassers, but isn't powering the ignition through the receiver exactly what you do NOT want to do, since the ignition can create RF noise that can travel into the receiver and do nasty things? I can't see why that would be better. What am I missing?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The circuit is supposed to keep that RF noise from getting to the RX. Apparently they are reasonably successful or they wouldn't be able to continue selling their stuff for long. I am using an opto kill switch on 70" slick and it is working out great so far.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
One of these days I'll hook up a spectrum analyzer to the rx plug for one and see what the noise floor is and how much nasty emf it's pumping into the rx... I have heard good things about the syssa though

gyro

GSN Contributor
Going to install this tonight, and should have some new, bigger 2s2650mah sky LiPo batts in my mailbox tomorrow :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359684886.938523.jpg