• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Pilot RC 35% (106") Extra 260

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks Nate!

so here is where i'm at:

Motor is mounted and connected. Will hopefully meet with one of my gas smart friends this week to verify I did it all correctly.
I've got the new polished smoke mufflers from TaildraggerRC installed, but still need to get a smoke system.
Servos are installed, and functioning perfect. Final tally: HS-7950TH on wings and rudder, HS-7954SH on elevators. HS-5565MH on throttle.
Went with two Glacier 2s2200 LiPos (unregulated) for my servo and ignition power.
Got an AR9100 power safe receiver, so I'm not running any other switches. Just lipos into the Rx.
Installed a IBE and Opto Kill, so I can turn her off in flight if necessary.
Threw a Xoar 28x10 CF prop on, and a Tru-turn ultimate spinner.

Pics soon! Can't wait!

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Gary, I would avoid that IBEC at all cost, If your ignition cannot support lipo unregulated, I would run a LIFe or A123's. I have had soo many problems with IBEC's but you will still want that opto kill. I run smartfly on both my gassers and like them but have heard good things about the others... Just avoid any IBEC/ IBEF things.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gary, I would avoid that IBEC at all cost, If your ignition cannot support lipo unregulated, I would run a LIFe or A123's. I have had soo many problems with IBEC's but you will still want that opto kill. I run smartfly on both my gassers and like them but have heard good things about the others... Just avoid any IBEC/ IBEF things.

Could you tell me a little more about why you feel that way?
I have an IBEF from TBM on my 89", and I haven't had any trouble with it...
The one I bought for this airplane is functionally identical, and is from Syssa.

Interesting, I've had the complete opposite experience. I've tried 3 different Smartfly opto kills and all 3 have failed causing dead sticks.. I have 1000s of flights on the ibecs and they've been rock solid. I personally wouldn't hesitate to run an ibec on any size gas plane. Quite a few guys running ibecs around here too and I don't know of any failures. This is one of those areas where firsthand experience has been quite a bit different than what I've read on the forums. Tons of threads out there saying never run an ibec!

nebwake

70cc twin V2
I have had bad luck with the TBM wike IBEF. I had two of them fail intermittently. I have ran a spectrum analyzer near ignition moduals and have witnessed the EMF coming out of the modual. That being said, I trust an optical separation more than a circuit to keep that away from the rx. I have not had the opportunity to hook a spec A to the back side of an IBEF to see how much feed back is getting fed to the rx but I am sure there is some. I have heard good things about the syssa brand over Wike though. YMMV.

Drew

70cc twin V2
I know I'm going to get hated on for this, but I don't use ANYTHING on my ignition except a fail safe switch and 4.8 battery. Every battery eliminator, ignition kill switch that Ive used has failed on me or given my weird engine issues. So, I just use my fail safe in my radio to completely close the throttle on signal loss and also use a switch to close throttle when I want to shut off engine. To many times sitting on my a$$ at the field troubleshooting a weird issue that tuned out to be those electronics, never again.

Drew

70cc twin V2
Did you run it yet Gary ? I was just looking up the weight difference from my 100L to your 111 and its adding about 8 ounces to the nose with that motor. I'm curious if you balanced it yet ???