• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I don't see any adverse affects, but the full scale used tubing and did not have an airfoil, just saying.
Back on the topic of rounding the T/E-L/E, as noted the full scale used tubing so those surfaces were rounded. But the full scale has access to a foam filler (see pic) to keep the gap from causing flutter of the control surfaces. This flutter is why I square the non functioning side, to cut down on the flutter. So far I have not seen any issue.
The gap seals on the full scale are to make the control surface a bit more effective, by stopping air from bleeding thru. Has nothing to do with flutter. Cheers and keep building!!! :cheers:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The gap seals on the full scale are to make the control surface a bit more effective, by stopping air from bleeding thru. Has nothing to do with flutter. Cheers and keep building!!! :cheers:
On our airframe's it creates flutter, I never asked just assumed it was the same reason. I have only had one airframe that it was an issue, it was a profile, I used tape to stop it.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yes I realize that....I was just responding to the comment regarding full scale and flutter. We used to use tape to seal the gaps and then some inventive person came up with the slide-in rubber strips. On ailerons tape was used for S1-C and S series to help roll rate. When the S1-T came out with the symmetrical and fat ailerons, we used the fuzzy side of Velcro to seal the gap.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
That is good to know, and I know assuming never ends well, but. The fuzzy side of Velcro? Really? That's funny! But goes to show we all do what we must to find a solution to our issue's....

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yeah....there's not much of a gap on the T ailerons, so the Velcro inserted under the trailing edge of the wing (top and bottom of each wing) sealed it as the aileron nose rotated against it. Initially I was skeptical that it would work, but after testing we found it did increase the roll rate by about 10% or so. Had to milk everything you could get outta the T to compete in Unlimited :confused:

jeff

30cc
Hi Rob,
I'm still here... barely have time to look at pics of the work you post.(usually at the end of the night before I crash). The last couple of weeks have been a beast.
The covering is looking Great!! I like how it's starting to take form. I did however post a reply to you on the other site a day or two ago. Can't remember, especially when the days are all feeling like one.

Jeff

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I feel for ya, use to work like that also. I will be back on the covering tomorrow and will post, as usual, as I go.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Not much to note on the build. Where the ailerons butt the wing there is a pocket crated by overhanging balsa. Last Thursday I told myself to not to forget to secure those Friday. Well, just as I was prepping for starting the covering I realized I had forgot them. So I had to run and get some micro balloons to thicken up epoxy enough to make a fillet. When I got back with the balloons I got a call and had to run to the south home. I did have time once returning to get the fillets in so covering will continue tomorrow.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After a lot of screwing around with my Pitts Saturday I finally figured out why it was not running so great at the event. The plugs obviously were on their way out. One completely gave way while trying to tune it and once I replaced both it ran great.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
One wing half down, three more to go.

Attachments

• P1080239.JPG
    P1080239.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 229