• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Got a few minutes to work on the plane this evening. image.jpg Here it is sitting in the back of the fuselage.

image.jpg

Here's the tail on the building board. I've never had parts that fit that this poorly from the parts sheet to the plans. Oh, well. That's part of the joy of building from nothing.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg

Here it is after I sheeted it with 1/16th balsa. That's only the bottom half. You have to put ribs on the other side then sheet it. But you have to attach the vertical stabilizer first. This is going to be interesting. It got too late to start another part tonight. So, maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I didn't realize until I built the vertical stabilizer why the plans call for building the empennage in halves. But, last night as I was putting it together, i realized that it would be difficult if not impossible to get them accurately square if they were completed. They both taper to the tips and using a square would not be possible. Having a flat side on each stabilizer makes it easy. Pictures to follow.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I really don't want to finish sheeting the top and bottom of the fuselage until I installed the control rods. It is much easier when you can reach everything fron the top and bottom. But, you can't accurately place the rods until you know where the elevator and rudder are going to be located. That's why I skipped ahead and built them next. There's still quite a bit of work to do, but I can get close enough to feel condiment with the exit holes.

But, wait!! What about the retractable tail wheel?? Yeah, it would be a lot easier to put that in and then run the cables before all the sheeting. Here's where it gets interesting.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
The dang retracts are $549.95, and the tail wheel is $189.98 for a total of $739.90!!!!!!
That's for Robart 154E and 160E. E being indicative of electric.
Holy Crap, Batman!
Well, robart is having a sale. Yep, a sale. Never heard of that before. 15% off the total bill if it's over $500 or something like that. So I saved $110.95. And I got them for 628.92. Yippee! No, really. That's significant savings.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Then came the "discussion"!!

Of course I asked before I ordered them, but she was not happy!! And said so. Several times. Didn't believe me when I said I didn't know before I started building this plane how much they really were. But, in the end, she relented, like the good wife she is, and I hit "send". We'll have another discussion when the credit card bill comes in but, it will likely be far more pleasant.

BalsaDust

Then came the "discussion"!!

Of course I asked before I ordered them, but she was not happy!! And said so. Several times. Didn't believe me when I said I didn't know before I started building this plane how much they really were. But, in the end, she relented, like the good wife she is, and I hit "send". We'll have another discussion when the credit card bill comes in but, it will likely be far more pleasant.
been through those discussions before. I believe its usually me saying "Hey babe can I spend a little money for my plane? I promise its for the last couple of parts I need for it" then in return I usually get this look in return :mad: and I know she is really thinking this:msn_slap: and in the end reminds me when I got back in the hobby 4 years ago that I would have just one plane.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I spent last evening meauring and calculating and re-measuring to make sure that I have the horizontal stabilizer straight. It took a lot of sanding and then building back up what I just sanded off to get the saddle for the stabilizer so that I can set it place and it's straight. There are a few things that don't have to be just right on a plane like this, but then there are things that have to be as close to perfect as you can make it. The empennage is one of those things. My brother and I have toiled over things like this for years. we'll be building a new plane and one side of the tail is 1/16th off. Invariably, one of us will say "that's not close enough". The other thing is the CG. I built a P-40 exactly according to the plans. It was so tail heavy that I nearly lost it on the first flight. Took 3 more flights to get it sorted out.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
been through those discussions before. I believe its usually me saying "Hey babe can I spend a little money for my plane? I promise its for the last couple of parts I need for it" then in return I usually get this look in return :mad: and I know she is really thinking this:msn_slap: and in the end reminds me when I got back in the hobby 4 years ago that I would have just one plane.
I've tried exactly the same thing!! When she relented to let me buy the retracts, she asked me if there was anything else I was going to have to get for this plane. My response was that this was the last expensive thing. "What does that mean? you said this plane was cheap to build" OK, maybe cheap wasn't the right word. But, now I only need the wing tubes, canopy and spinner.

I think.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Speaking of the retracts, I talked to Robart this morning. The 154's are ready and they're just waiting on the tail wheel retract. Said it should be ready to ship sometime next week.

I'm going to try to get some measurements and install the control rods to the tail. Then, I think it will be time to start working on the wing until the retracts get here. Lots to think about.

I'll post some pictures later tonight.