• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I've been working on the wing a lot lately trying to get it ready to mount to the fuse. So far I've installed 62-63 spar webs, the dihedral braces and put the 2 panels together. I've cut out for the retract supports and should be ready to fit those tonight. Without the wing tips, the measured wingspan is just over 98". There's so much work to do on this plane. But, I'm slowly getting there. I'll post some pictures this evening of the wing and the details of the construction.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I was reading about the original Nosen P-51 and I find it incredible that the recommended engine for this plane was a .60 size glow engine with a gear reduction drive. What a challenge it must've been to be successful with that combination. Puts me awe of the guys who were!!

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Here's a quick picture of my current status. Spar webs have been added, LE & TE reinforcements, and wing hold down sections have been built.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 285

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Little different perspective. That's 99 inches, that's 8' 3" of balsa and plywood, every piece hand cut. Not everything fits perfectly, but then that's just part of it. I love scratch building when I'm done!!

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I didn't realize how badly misaligned this part was until I was taking pictures for this thread. Not only did I have to cut it off and start over, I had to figure out and measure the proper angle and the right distance from the rear spar.