• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Looking more and more like an airplane everytime I check in. Way to go and keep it up.
Thanks. According to the guy that drew the plans, the hard part is nearly finished. The rest of the plane is pretty much old school "carve, cut and sand to shape". Trying to decide on solid wing or 3 piece. The 3 piece will definately be easier to handle and transport, but adds a lot of complexity to the build.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Thanks! Finished the tail structure, now on to sheeting the fuselage. I'm going to use a different technique for this part. One I've heard about but never actually used. I'll detail my experience with it as I move forward.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg image.jpg
Here's the rudder. I thought this was going to be as simple as the elevators, but was not. The bottom of the rudder is supposed to be solid balsa block. What I've learned from other scratch building projects is that if the distance from the CG to the tail is, say, 4 times the distance as from the CG to the nose, then every ounce you save on the tail saves 4 ounces of needed weight in the nose. I figure I saved 1/2 pound of weight by sheeting the rudder as opposed to filling it with solid wood. I'm really excited about the way it turned out. I think I like the idea of building a core of the outline and then using 1/2 ribs on each side.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I don't know if you can tell or not, but this is the straightest control surface I've ever built. And the elevators are the same way. I've been dreading building the flaps and ailerons, but with the success I had with the split rib method of construction, I have no doubt that they will go together just as the rudder did.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Finished the elevators and rudder tonight. Had to get those done while I'm waiting on some more lumber to arrive on Thursday. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. Next up is the wing. I think cutting the ribs out is the next thing.

I need to write about the technique for building these parts. As soon as I get the pictures, I will. Hopefully tomorrow.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg Ok here's a couple of pictures of the elevator halves and the rudder. Like I put in the post just above, these parts (as well as the ailerons and flaps) are built on a core. You cut out the outline of the pieces on 1/8th or 3/16ths balsa, add the leading edge, use the plans for the length of the ribs, then sand them on an angle from the front to the TE. Turn it over and do the same thing. The only thing left then is to sheet it. I chose to use 1/16th for the sheeting and 1/8th x 1/4 balsa strips for the ribs. The rudder had a compound curve at the lower end that does not lend itself well to covering in a single piece. If you look closely you can tell that I ran the sheeting 4-5 pieces width-wise as opposed to longitudinally as I did on the elevators. As soon as hit "Post Reply" on this blog, I'm going to start cutting out wing ribs. Spent 2 hours cutting out the paper templates. Hope the saw work goes a little faster.
image.jpg

Last edited: