• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
22 ribs cut! I'm tired! So much for being faster than cutting the paper templates. But, they have to be right and the left side has to match the right. So, you put 2 pieces of 1/8th sheet together and cut and sand them 2 at a time. image.jpg

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Here's a picture of what I've accomplished so far tonight.image.jpg
I recut all the notches for the spars so that I could use 1/2x3/8ths hardwood spars. I cut the spars from pieces
of 1/2 x 6 x 48 poplar using my table saw. That was the only size of 1/2" wood in the entire Home Depot. But, it turned out ok. I just laid the top spars down to get an idea of how much "tweaking" I'm going to have to do to make them fit. Looks like about an hour each should make everything line up just right. Before I can glue any of the ribs in place, W8 through W12 have to be drilled for the wing tube for the three piece wing.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
If you look at the last picture of the fuselage, you'll see that I still have to sheet the top. I wanted to practice a little before I articulated this particular technique so I'm just now getting around to it. I cut a piece of 3/16ths x 3 in half, tapered one edge and glued it to the side, slightly bending it over the formers. Then I sanded the top edge until it closely matched the curve of the formers. A bead of medium CA along the top edge and I placed the second piece on the first, overlapping the taper on the top edge. After attaching the second piece to the the formers, I was left with a big overlap that had to be sanded off. It takes a lot of sanding, but the result is a seamless joint with a wide glue joint. I'll post some pictures tomorrow night when I work on it some more.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I worked on the left wing panel until after midnight last night and finished up enough of it to be able to take it off the building board. LE and TE are installed and contoured to the rib shape. Note to self - cut the servo wire access holes before gluing ribs in place

Last edited: