• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Here's the pictures that I promised earlier today.

image.jpg
This the first pic since I mounted the wing. Looks like one of the racers with the wing tip sections removed.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I tried to include a picture of the entire plane, but the plane is too big, or my shop is too small. I choose to believe the latter.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I measured every direction that I could imagine. From the tips to the fuselage sides was within 1/16th. From the tip to the ground is equal. I measured diagonally from the wing tips to a central point on the very end of the fuselage. This was my biggest area of discrepancy. There was a difference of 3/16ths. Considering that the combined length is just over 12 feet, I figure that 3/16ths is close enough.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I got to spend about 45 minutes in the shop last night and also tonight. During that short amount of time, I built 4 removable servo trays and installed the flap and aileron servos. Tonight I installed 6 servo wire tubes, and installed all the leads from the servos to the center of the wing. The only thing left to do is sand off the high spots and sheet the wings. I want to take some pics showing the work, but there's a really bad thunderstorm going on right now and going out to the shop is not safe. 1 inch hail will put a serious knot on your head. tomorrow evening, I'll take one of the servos out and take some pics about how I made the trays and the tubes. Until then . . . . .

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Here's the servo rails. 2-1/2 inch long 1/2 inch square hardwood rails supported by triangle stock underneath.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg

This pic shows the servo lead tube that I put in. You can order these tunes from several different sources, but these are homemade. I took some old Monocote tubes and sliced them lengthwise with a box cutter. Then, I rolled them until they fit inside the holes in the ribs. When you release them, they unroll until the edges of the holes stop them. If the holes are round, the tubes fit perfectly. A little thin CA and there in there forever.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg

This is the first servo tray I made. The 1/2inch square hardwood goes through the 1/8inch 5-ply plywood. I used triangle stock to support it.