• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg Here's the outside that shows the hardwood rails sanded flush with the plywood.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
After sheeting the bottom of the wing the tolerance between the hatch and the sheeting is quite good. That's because I squared the hatch before I installed it. Then I laid sheeting along the top and bottom. That leaves only the sides to present an issue for a clean install. My secret is to bevel the edge. A 45* sanded edge will fit up against an opposing side with little or no gap.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 24294
After sheeting the bottom of the wing the tolerance between the hatch and the sheeting is quite good. That's because I squared the hatch before I installed it. Then I laid sheeting along the top and bottom. That leaves only the sides to present an issue for a clean install. My secret is to bevel the edge. A 45* sanded edge will fit up against an opposing side with little or no gap.
Looks good!

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Wow! I thought that I would build the flying surfaces in a couple of hours maybe 3. I spent all Sunday afternoon and only got the left side done. The angles and shapes are very difficult to replicate accurately and have to match each other. As I build the next set, I'll take some pictures.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
After all the work, the measuring, the calculating, when I went to hinge them, the angle from the inboard edge to the outboard edge was off. Like way off. So, tonight, I spent all my time cutting the flaps apart, sanding down the LE and reassembling them so that they fit within the TE of the wing. Dang, what a mess. They were so good, fit so well. I was actually proud of the quality of my work. They were just the wrong size. I guess tomorrow night will be spent rebuilding the ailerons.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Looking good bud.
Thanks! Tore the flaps and ailerons apart over the last couple of days and rebuilt them. Got them right this time. Hinged the ailerons last night. Getting close to finishing up the construction part of the project. Still waiting on Robart to return my retracts. When they get back, I'll be able to finish sheeting the bottom of the wing and I'll be in the finishing stage.